Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer 128k hand crank - sewing problem >
  • Singer 128k hand crank - sewing problem

• Singer 128k hand crank - sewing problem

Old 02-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Default Singer 128k hand crank - sewing problem

I recently purchased a late 1950s Singer 128k hand crank with a long bobbin. The exterior is in excellent condition, the inner workings are a bit grubby but will clean it up next week.

I have been giving it a go and outside of being a bit noisy, it worked very well...but I have one question and one problem

Question: What brand or style of modern needle should I use? (I am using an Organ Needle Universal 90/14 that works just fine in my 1958 electric Singer 201K.

The machine threads (as per the manual) from left to right; however, the needle groove is on the right hand size. I did try threading right to left so the thread sat in the groove, but then it did not stitch.

Problem: How to remove fabric after stitching.

I lifted the presser foot, made sure the needle was up and gently pulled the fabric away towards the rear of the machine, it either didn't budge and release any slack thread from the bobbin or the bobbin thread broke. Gently moving the hand crank to-and-fro didn't seem to help.

Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

HettyB
    Old 02-27-2018, 01:17 PM

Cleaning and oiling are usually a must on these, very few are newly serviced. They take the same needles as your 201, and most domestic machines. Double check that you have the correct manual (mix ups have happened) and needle needs to go in the correct way.

If you have a 28, it has a lobe under the tensioner, it releases thread. A 128 has auto thread release in the presser bar lever. As correctly point out; make sure the needle is all the way up when you pull the fabric away. It can have something to do with cleaning and oiling, if it's very messy parts gum up. Can the bobbin thread be in the wrong route some how? Cought in a burr or shuttle some where?
    Old 02-27-2018, 02:55 PM
    Banned

Maybe you're confusing the scarf with the groove? The groove is a fine line that runs all the way down the needle shaft on one side. The scarf is on the opposite side and looks like someone took a chunk out of the needle shaft down by the eye.

Cari
    Old 02-27-2018, 06:18 PM

Lucky you. I would like a small hand crank. I do have a 15-clone hand crank.

Originally Posted by HettyB
    Question: What brand or style of modern needle should I use? (I am using an Organ Needle Universal 90/14 that works just fine in my 1958 electric Singer 201K.

The machine threads (as per the manual) from left to right; however, the needle groove is on the right hand size. I did try threading right to left so the thread sat in the groove, but then it did not stitch.

Yes, the 128K takes the same system needle as the 201K. I'm kind of surprised Cari didn't say something about Universal needles. These machine were made before knits came into fashion for home sewing and so "sharp" needles were what was used and probably work best for these machines. I generally use Universal needles, too. I don't quilt, mostly mend and occasionally make a little bags.

Not sure which manual you have, but it should have a paragraph entitled "To Set the Needle" and should be right before "To Thread the Needle." I would remove it and make sure the flat side of the shank (the top of the needle) is on the right side (facing the hand wheel). Then thread from left to right.

Originally Posted by HettyB
    Problem: How to remove fabric after stitching.

I lifted the presser foot, made sure the needle was up and gently pulled the fabric away towards the rear of the machine, it either didn't budge and release any slack thread from the bobbin or the bobbin thread broke. Gently moving the hand crank to-and-fro didn't seem to help.

Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.
    My guess is that the pin is either missing or is gunked up so that it doesn't move when the presser foot is lifted. I think you should be able to take the nose plate off and look at where it hits behind the tension assembly. You should be able to see a pin move in and out as you lift and lower the presser foot.

You might look at http://mysewingmachineobsession.blog...-assembly.html
    It would help to remove and clean the tension assembly. I don't if it would help, but if you download http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/127_128.pdf and look at the bottom right of page ten you will see an exploded view of the tension assembly. Maybe between the link and diagram you shouldn't have any problem removing, cleaning and putting it back together.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-27-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    Old 02-28-2018, 01:16 AM

Cari - The flat side of the needle shank would only fit if it was to the left, which seemed odd if the machine threads left to right. The convention contradicts my other singers and bernina. I wonder if it is full of gunk

Mickey and Ourworkbench - When I am able to get out an about (we are snowed in - the UK can't handle snow!), I am going to get some proper cleaning supplies and oils and get to cleaning and I will pay particular attention to the tension assembly. It most likely is just crud. The previous owner had it from new and had passed away. Her son-in-law said that it hadn't been used since the 70s. While the lacquer, lovely scrolls etc are perfect and underside is bad. Hopefully, it will be just a case of some TLC.

I will report back on when I am finished.

Thank you so much for all your tips

HettyB
    Old 02-28-2018, 06:21 AM

My 201 threads right to left, and my 99 threads left to right, and thinking about it 128 is the same as 99 that way. You are correct, flat side should be to the right. I would take of the needle clamp, clean and check every tiny groove and bit behind there. A 201 I cleaned up had the groove in the needle bar packed packed full of dust, and I spend a few tooth picks to get it completely out. Needle clamps can be a bit fuzzy, but they aren't too difficult, the one on my 201 being a bit tricky. I think 128s are the type of machine where it's easy to insert the needle in the wrong way. It certainly is on my 99 and 201. It's odd it only goes in the wrong way? I have to think twice when I replace needle, especially going from one machine to another.

Your 128 should turn out well, it's almost always about cleaning, oiling and more of the same on these. Common replacement parts are usually the bobbin tyre and if the shuttle is missing. I once replaced a spring in the tension assembly on a 99. Grime under the throat plate can mess up in various ways too, and I'm sure going through all the check points will solve the problem.

Last edited by Mickey2; 02-28-2018 at 06:33 AM.