Singer 15-91 needle question

Old 03-12-2021, 06:47 PM

Default Singer 15-91 needle question

Finally got my machine back from re-wiring and maintenance. I can't tell by the book what size needle I should be using for piecing. What do you all usually use and is 50 wt thread what you use in the machine too? Also, should I just use Singer brand needles? There's definitely a learning curve for me since all I've ever sewn on are modern machines but I'm excited to have this one!
Old 03-12-2021, 08:31 PM

Singer brand needles are not the best. I like Organ or Orange brands and I buy them in bulk on that auction site.

Choose the needle size by the thread size. For piecing cottons with 50 wt thread, an 11 or 12 normal sharp will be good.

The 15-91 was my main machine for piecing and quilting - actually, all sewing - for about ten years. Hope you'll like it just as much as I did.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Singer brand needles are not the best. I like Organ or Orange brands and I buy them in bulk on that auction site.

Choose the needle size by the thread size. For piecing cottons with 50 wt thread, an 11 or 12 normal sharp will be good.

The 15-91 was my main machine for piecing and quilting - actually, all sewing - for about ten years. Hope you'll like it just as much as I did.
So just use the 80/12 I always do then. I don't know why I thought it would be different. I wasn't sure after reading the book that came with it.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:29 AM

Yes, the same as you're used to. The little instruction manual has a chart in the back that is rather confusing to us, 70 years later.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:15 AM

For a 50wt. thread, I'd be using a 12 needle size (maybe get away with an 11 or may need a 14 dependent on thread quality).
Old 03-13-2021, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Yes, the same as you're used to. The little instruction manual has a chart in the back that is rather confusing to us, 70 years later.
You got that right! I was totally confused.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hooligan
For a 50wt. thread, I'd be using a 12 needle size (maybe get away with an 11 or may need a 14 dependent on thread quality).
Thanks for the advice. Looks like you have quite a collection of vintage machines!