Singer 306w missing screw?

Old 08-22-2015, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Manalto
It locks in a minimum stitch width if you want to toggle between two widths when doing decorative stitches. Without it, you still have all the decorative zigzag stitches and needle positions.

Translation: It's not important.
Sort of like the stitch length that locks on some machines?
Old 08-23-2015, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Sort of like the stitch length that locks on some machines?
In the early 1950s, there was a style of machine embroidery introduced that used zigzag and the operator's skill to vary the stitches manually. Modern Home Sewing by Drucella Lowrie and Sylvia Mager (1952; Necchi Home Arts Associates) is an example of the trend. The minimum bight stop on the Singer would have been useful for such an exercise; one could quickly toggle between a 2 and a 4 width, for example, without having to carefully set the dial while the machine is making stitches! Although by the time of the 306, cams were available that could accomplish rigid, geometric designs but for more fluid embroidery, a combination of machine zigzag and some impressive operator skill accomplished the task. Here's an example from the book:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528528[/ATTACH]

It occurs to me that this style of stitching would lend itself beautifully to quilts. Human error/variability would give it more handmade character than computerized embroidery stitches. I've never tried it, but I have a feeling in my case there would be a little too much character.
Attached Thumbnails modern-home-sewing-page.jpg  

Last edited by Manalto; 08-23-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

I was digging around for some spool pins which I never found but I did find the missing screw piece for my machine. I'm thrilled to pieces to know what it should look like Manalto!!! Thank you. Now I'll have to bring that machine out and get it working.

I think there were some designs at that same time to do monograms with varying widths - there should be examples in other manuals from the day. I vaguely remember seeing some in an Elna manual I had back in the 70s.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I was digging around for some spool pins which I never found but I did find the missing screw piece for my machine. I'm thrilled to pieces to know what it should look like Manalto!!! Thank you. Now I'll have to bring that machine out and get it working.
Hi Miriam,
I'm glad you were able to identify the piece so it can go back where it belongs. Who knows? Maybe you'll even use that feature on your zigzag one day. I really like the 306, despite its minor annoyances: oddball (but still available) needle type and awkward bobbin case position come to mind. It's lightweight, powerful and nice to look at. (If only I could claim the same.)

You can call me James.

James
Old 08-23-2015, 02:06 PM

I sorted through my bag of screws and I have some the right length that will fit but none where the threads stop before the end. before i would have to worry about that I have to get the screw hole cleared, so there's plenty of time to try and find one.

Good for you Miriam! Was yours with the machine?
Old 08-23-2015, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
I sorted through my bag of screws and I have some the right length that will fit but none where the threads stop before the end. before i would have to worry about that I have to get the screw hole cleared, so there's plenty of time to try and find one.

Good for you Miriam! Was yours with the machine?
My machine did not come with that screw. I didn't know what screw went there at all so I'm very thankful for James' picture. I bought out an old sewing machine guy's stuff and there was that screw in the drawer! I did not explore to see if there is a broken piece in the hole or not - one day this week maybe I'll get to work on that machine. I like them, too. I have another one in great shape. Both came a bit dirty but they cleaned up just fine. I'm thinking the wiring was shot on both of them - may still be bad I don't remember.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:05 PM

Thank you James for the photo, I too am missing those screws and didn't know it until I posted pics for Christy in the other thread. I am off to search through my parts.

Lorraine
Old 08-24-2015, 05:12 AM

My 319 is missing that exact same screw. It has one on the right side, but the left side is missing. I wonder if people didn't know what it did, unscrewed it, then got confused about where it went and just left it off.