• Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer 331K6 Industrial Sewing Machine >
  • Singer 331K6 Industrial Sewing Machine

• Singer 331K6 Industrial Sewing Machine

Old 07-18-2024, 01:55 AM

Default Singer 331K6 Industrial Sewing Machine

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to the sewing world.... I have someone selling a Singer 331K6 industrial machine near me. I'm interested in it but I need to get more information, which is proving difficult even online. The owner doesn't know anything about it....

So here I am, hoping to get some help.

I just want to know general information really, such as it's capabilities with different materials from sheer/light to thicker fabrics, maintenance, ease or difficulty of finding parts, etc.

Thankyou in advance!

Dannielle.
    Old 07-18-2024, 03:12 AM

I hope someone here can answer your questions. I have no knowledge about industrial sewing machines - sorry.
    Old 07-18-2024, 04:28 AM

It's unlikely that you will get an answer here, as we mostly talk about vintage domestic machines. Be aware that industrial machines do all kinds of things and are often single purpose machines. What I mean by that is they may be a machine made specifically for hemming pants, putting in zippers or making curtains, etc.

I personally wouldn't consider buying an industrial machine unless you are somewhat familiar with them. Parts may be hard to find as well as finding a repairman.

The place I would ask is on VSS. They may have some information or know where to go for information.

bk

Old 07-18-2024, 08:26 AM

Since you say you are new to sewing, I would suggest if you want to go vintage that you look into some more common domestic machines. As bkay said industrial machines "are often single purpose machines" and consequently not for a variety of fabrics. Also since there are not as many industrial machines 'in the wild' the parts are more difficult to find.

According to ISMACS comprehensive model list the 331K6 is Wheel feed. Roller presser. For leather. If you are having trouble finding much information online about the machine, just think about how much harder it would be to find parts for.

Most early Singer domestic sewing machines will sew a variety of fabrics from light to heavy (denim or wool coating) with the right needles and thread.
    Old 07-18-2024, 06:41 PM

Default Thankyou for the information

Hi to all who replied,

I'm actually needing a machine to do biothane, so by my research, an industrial machine to do leather etc would be required.

I think I might skip this one though... Just can't find anything much on it and don't know enough.

Thankyou everyone for your help!

Dannielle.
    Old 07-19-2024, 07:02 PM

I had to look up BioThane and found this site https://www.biothaneusa.com/services/sewing/ which while there are youtube videos about sewing it, the site says
    Typically, BioThane recommends RF welding over stitching to optimize strength, but there are some cases where you might prefer your product to be sewn.
    It looks like the machines to sew BioThane would not be used to sew garments or lighter weight fabric. If you are only sewing a couple of layers of BioThane occasionally, there may be some domestic machines that might do it.