Singer 404

Old 12-21-2022, 04:39 AM

Default Singer 404

I am going to look at a Singer 404 in cabinet tomorrow evening. The pictures look okay. It is $40. Anything I should check? Any opinions on this machine? TIA
Old 12-21-2022, 08:37 AM

I love my 404, the only vintage machine I still have and use. I particularly like that at this machine Singer began the drop in bobbin for the series rather than side insertion. I appreciate the slant stitch needle set up, easier for me to see to thread.

I found a 301 in a cabinet and traded the 301 for 30's fabric to a member here, and used the cabinet for the 404.

Be sure the bobbin race is still there, people sell or steal these. Plug it in, thread it up, and stitch with some of your fabric, if they want to sell it they will grant you some time with the machine. If it doesn't come with a manual they are easily found on-line, either to print out or buy original off ebay.
If something is amiss they will probably drop the price, the question is will you be willing to fix it, or will it become just another unloved lump in a room?

Best wishes!
Old 12-21-2022, 10:17 AM

Good advice from KalamaQuilts. I had one person buy 6 machines from me (and looked at about 6 others), and she tested every one of them, and I was happy to have her do so.

If you're not familiar with this series of machines, when you turn the hand wheel to see if the machine turns, you will be turning the motor as well, so you will feel some resistance. Because it's a straight stitch only, there won't be a lot of things on the inside to be gummed up.

I am looking for one of these myself and I would pay $40 as long as the motor worked, I could deal with other issues.