Singer 411G, spool pin pads?

Old 11-10-2012, 10:45 PM

K, so if I recall correctly, a 40 is heavier than a 50? That's what it looks like on Grandma's old thread. I just realised that none of the Gutermann thread I have has a weight marked on it. Does that mean I can "assume" that the "sew-all" thread is 50wt? The Jeans thread I have here is thicker than Grandma's 50wt...

I'm a little weak on my thread theory.

Perhaps I'll play a little more then. I do recall that the stitches in the pic in post #43 looked "better" than the stitches I got yesterday, and I wondered why that would have been. Perhaps I was using a different thread wt, or needle. I know the machine has been used since, so it's very likely it was a different needle at the very least.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 11-10-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

The thread and the needle do have to somewhat match - heavy thread larger needle. The larger needle is going to fit through the throat plate hole in a slightly different place than a smaller needle - you can see that in the repair manual for the 401.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 AM

Tammi, my Gutermann thread has no weight markings either. But, I've looked it up on the web a few times and I've found that it is #50. I buy my Gutermann at JoAnns. However, I just grabbed an old spool of cheap polyester thread to use in my W&G. (It is from one of the packages where you get a variety of colors on smallish spools.) Again, this spool is not marked but it seems like #50. When I go down to the sewing room today I'll try to remember to use Gutermann 100% cotton in the W&G with a size 16 needle and let you know the results.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
The thread and the needle do have to somewhat match - heavy thread larger needle. The larger needle is going to fit through the throat plate hole in a slightly different place than a smaller needle - you can see that in the repair manual for the 401.
I did some thinking about it though, I compared my Gutermann thread to the marked thread from my grandma, and it looks like the sew-all thread is about a 50wt. The 90 needle was likely "OK", I could try a smaller needle, but then I'm bordering on an unnatural result. I think a larger needle would.... hm,.. what the heck, I'll try. We're trying to use this in a way that it wasn't designed to, maybe this is one of the kludges needed.

I remember that needle to hole relationship from the 27 adjuster's manual read a year and a half ago. My first adjuster's manual. I think I read it cover to cover. Now I just use them like recipe books.

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer
Tammi, my Gutermann thread has no weight markings either. But, I've looked it up on the web a few times and I've found that it is #50. I buy my Gutermann at JoAnns. However, I just grabbed an old spool of cheap polyester thread to use in my W&G. (It is from one of the packages where you get a variety of colors on smallish spools.) Again, this spool is not marked but it seems like #50. When I go down to the sewing room today I'll try to remember to use Gutermann 100% cotton in the W&G with a size 16 needle and let you know the results.
Thanks! Good to know.
When I had a poke around on Gutermann's site, I noticed that it was the only one they didn't specify a weight on, but it's always looked "standard" to me.

I may have some actual sewing to do today or tomorrow, so I should have some time to play too.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:31 AM
Power Poster

I'm still missing the throat plate for mine. When you threaded the upper part of the machine did you go through the extra thread guides by the nose?
Attached Thumbnails singer-411g-401g-401a-019.jpg  
Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 AM

Hey Miriam,

for the CS, yes, I use the other guide, the one to the left of the take up lever. The one you look to be highlighting is part of normal threading.

I'll thread up a 411G when we get home, and snap some pics. It'll be late though.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:05 AM

For normal sewing, if you don't thread the machine through the two guides shown in the pic, your top tension will go bonkers.
I found that out the hard way.

Joe
Old 07-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Joe the German machines have more thread guides inside the nose door.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Joe the German machines have more thread guides inside the nose door.
Oh .... duh.

Joe
Old 07-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Well, Joe how would you know if you never saw one... I'm not sure how they work.