Singer 411g

Old 05-20-2019, 08:16 AM

Default Singer 411g

So I bought a 411g on Ebay. Sometimes its a toss up on Ebay and this time I bought a doozy. So someone had 'modified' the machine quite a bit and it was not stitching. They also took the pedal apart and put one of the wires through the treadle hole in the front- so I had to dismantle the foot pedal just to get it out of the hole so I could treadle it. (one of the main reasons I wanted the machine)

I worked on the machine until it would make a stitch- but I had to order a new bobbin case and here is the reason for writing and asking for advice:

So chain stitching is also a huge thing that people want this machine for. This machine did come with the chain stitch bobbin case but not the needle plate. So I was wondering why the bobbin case would not sit properly in the bobbin race - would just rattle around and tangle the thread.

I took it out to compare it to an image on google- and noticed that on the upper right of the chain stitch bobbin case- there is suppose to be a little arm/hook that appears to have been removed on mine and filed down...…..wonderfullllllllll.

At first I though well maybe these things break off? I that common? Maybe that is one reason they are so rare? They break?

But after all the other crazy modifications on this machine I just felt in my gut that someone must have removed it and filed it down...….ruining a rare bobbin case. Why would it be so smooth if it wasn't filed.....right?

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or seen something like this before? Is there a way to fix that hook piece? does it move or is it a fixed thing?

It's ruined anyway- so trying to modify it would be fun. I love a challenge. It's a small piece and if its suppose to be a fixed object on the bobbin case- there must be a way to modify it...…. I still need the plate though.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-20-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-20-2019, 02:11 PM

mimishaan: I am no help to you, just wanted to say Welcome to the board. There are lots of knowledgeable people here, I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:22 PM

Welcome. Hopefully, Miriam will pop in to help as I believe she has this machine or one similar.

I have a 626 T&S that will chain stitch, so I am familiar with the parts that will make the chain stitch. The bobbin cover for chain stitch does have a hook. I know the 600 series machines that do chain stitch are different from the 400 G series machines that do a chain stitch.

From some of the info that I found it had two different cases? one for chain stitch and one for lock stitch? Interestingly, the manual that I downloaded from http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ine-manual.pdf it shows about the different threading and throat plate, but doesn't say anything about the bobbin case.

Not much help, am I.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:32 PM

Thank you to all the replies so far.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-21-2019 at 01:39 PM. Reason: referenced site belongs to banned member