Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer 66 pressure foot question >
  • Singer 66 pressure foot question

• Singer 66 pressure foot question

Old 06-20-2024, 08:34 AM

Default Singer 66 pressure foot question

So, I just scooped up a 1926 66 that I want to convert to hand crank. Taking her apart and cleaning today. The pressure foot bar is stuck up, how would I go about freeing that up. I’ve applied some WD-40 and am waiting a few hours to see if that helps. Suggestions would be killer. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails img_7838.jpeg   img_7839.jpeg   img_7840.jpeg  
    Old 06-20-2024, 10:38 AM

Have you tried heat?

I know a lot of people use WD-40 to loosen parts, but remember if it works you will still need to oil after. WD-40 is for water displacement, not a solvent that I would use. Kerosene has been recommended by Singer and they used to dip the whole machine in a vat of kerosene to service them. Again it would need to be oiled afterward. I used Kroil on a black machine without damage to the finish. I'm not sure if PB B'LASTER PENETRANT would ruin the finish of the machine. I have used alcohol wipes to clean the metal of of old oil that has varnished on parts, but not to loosen. If you use cotton balls or rags with rubbing alcohol, it is possible that it would drip on machine and ruin the finish.

While it is for a back clamp 66, it also discusses the presser bar that may help https://growyourownclothes.com/2016/...to-side-clamp/

Is the whole machine frozen or just the presser bar?
    Old 06-20-2024, 11:47 AM

So, I realized after looking it over and looking at the sellers original photos, it was damaged in transit. The bar was smashed down, bent the foot all to heck. I finally got the whole thing out. I’m going to get a different assembly for it. And I already messaged the seller because the packaging was absolutely horrible and it’s definitely on them but we’ll see. I’m not expecting anything and I’m just going to fix, hopefully. Everything else is moving freely.