Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer Featherweights ~ what's the big deal??? >
  • Singer Featherweights ~ what's the big deal???

• Singer Featherweights ~ what's the big deal???

Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller
    When it comes to the prices; it's the fad of the yuppies who have more money than brains.

When it comes to the sewing; it's everything the posters above said. I especially like the simplicity of the machine and the fact that it's QUIET and has a quality sound totally unlike the new plastic junque.
    We paid about $285.00 for ours and consider it worth it. Not sure we would have gone much higher though.

Joe
    I could not agree more. When I saw several ladies at quilt camp use them and saw what an awesome little machine they were I had to have one. Well since then I have bought two and would not part with them. The ones I bought have all the original attachments and instruction manual. Both are from 1950 and one has a centennial stamp . I am so happy with the machines and I'm very happy to have found them the same week.
    Lovely stitch, light weight, no hassle, a great piece of history and works every time machine. I have also learned to lubricate and oil my machines myself.
    Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM

Why would I possibly need more than 1 Featherweight?
    Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 AM

Donna,

Perhaps after looking at the big picture, (this forum and my house full of other machines ) I could have said: "What's need got to do with it?".

I don't "need" 5 Singer 66s. Or 4 treadle machines. Or 3 or 4 Japanese ZZ machines with multiple cams and built in stitches. Or a half dozen miscellaneous Singers. But I saw 'em and wanted them and got 'em.

I don't mean to be two faced, but I've been thinking since I answered your PM this morning ( I woke up a bit ) and it really just comes down to wanting the machines and having the ability to pay for them.

I do agree though that the prices are all out of proportion to what your getting.

Joe
    Old 05-02-2012, 05:33 AM
    Power Poster

It is AWESOME!!!! It is like the old cars before all the electronics. They just keep on keeping on. Great for straight stitching. Worth every penny.