Singer Penguin WF

Old 07-07-2015, 05:07 PM

I was thinking about buying an example of the penguin foot and reproducing it except for the Singer name stamped on the cover. But perhaps people would not buy a reproduction. From what I have read this foot is THE thing to use. That and its rarity must be the reason that their prices on eBay hover around $700.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Banned

I do not know if they would command the kind of prices that the originals would, but a well designed walking foot that can be used on older machines would at least get my interest.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:27 AM

There would be a market, just not a $300+ each market. I'm not sure what you could get for a reproduction but a well designed walking foot is always a nice thing to have. The compact shape would help with sales I think.
Rodney
Old 07-08-2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by smithsenfield
I was thinking about buying an example of the penguin foot and reproducing it except for the Singer name stamped on the cover. But perhaps people would not buy a reproduction. From what I have read this foot is THE thing to use. That and its rarity must be the reason that their prices on eBay hover around $700.
I've never used one but a Swiss zig-zagger set to zero bight does a fantastic job. These go for much, much less than a penguin foot.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM

smithsenfield,

Welcome to the QB.

I'd love to have a Singer Penguin WF but no way could I afford one. Should you made a reproduction, my suggestion would be to follow the original design verbatim. All metal construction if that's the way it was made. Plastic has it's place, but I like metal accessories for vintage machines.

Joe
Old 07-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Joe! Welcome back! I hope you and Elaine are settled into your new "abode"! We all missed you here. I keep looking for a Penguin foot - maybe I'll get lucky and find one tucked away into a vintage case.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Joe! Welcome back! I hope you and Elaine are settled into your new "abode"! We all missed you here. I keep looking for a Penguin foot - maybe I'll get lucky and find one tucked away into a vintage case.
Thanks, I keep looking in every basket, bucket, and stash of old sewing things. So far we've found lots of things, but not a Penguin WF. Maybe someday.

Joe
Old 07-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Before joining this board I did not allow myself to experience envy or lust.

Now I'm simply wallowing in those two deadly; does that mean I'm guilty of sloth, too? Oh my my.

I want, need, desire, and lust after a Penguin Walking Foot. There's one on an auction, but they passed my limit hours and hours ago. I'm hoping to find the one "tossed in a sewing basket" at a thrift/vintage/antique shop or yard sale. It could happen.

While I'm filling out the lust list the pristine 201-2 is right next to the Penguin. The 201-2 will be for my niece, so I don't feel guilty about wanting it. Do you think I could hope for a fine, working order 201-2 complete with a forgotten Penguin walking foot lurking in the case or cabinet?

And the Easter Bunny could borrow one of Santa's reindeer to deliver them to me!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 05:10 PM

Caroline - one never knows what you may find!

I slipped way down the attachmnet desire slope the day I was looking at a beat up desk cabinet with a really worn Singer 15-91 in it. Even though it was super cheap ($33.50 or so) I was going to pass because I really didn't need another beat up desk or 15-91. Then I started looking in the drawers - well, I couldn't pay for it and get it safely loaded fast enough.

While there were no penguin feet - along with the usual attachments, buttonholer and zigzagger - was a single thread and a double thread embroidery attachment.

I hope some day I'll open up a drawer and find a penguin foot -
Old 07-23-2015, 06:02 AM

a penguin foot is possible ... a gold tooth was found ����������