Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer Spoked balance wheel differences >
  • Singer Spoked balance wheel differences

• Singer Spoked balance wheel differences

Old 06-12-2024, 07:52 AM

I see this thread is fairly older but figured I’d add/ask a couple questions about this. I am currently working on converting a 1907 singer 66k from treadle to hand crank. No boss but I found a hand crank that replaces the stop motion knob. I am replacing the hand wheel in hopes to be able to use a bobbin winder still, found one on eBay from a 1923 singer 66k but it’s too small? It slides around on the shaft and doesn’t fit up against the stop motion knob. I am wondering if anyone knows which hand wheel I should be using. I looked through a few links and I think I need parts #15282. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Old 06-12-2024, 09:08 AM

What was on your machine? If you are talking about something like https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/pr...-singer-p60592 then you shouldn't have to change the handwheel. I think this video may help
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ7VyTkK-IA or https://thimblebook.com/2021/04/27/s...on-kit-review/

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-12-2024 at 09:11 AM.
    Old 06-12-2024, 09:51 AM

Yes, that is the hand crank I want to use. I want to switch the hand wheel so I can still use a bobbin winder. The machine originally came with the belt driven winder vs one with a tire that runs off the hand wheel. I did purchase a different winder that runs via tire. Got lucky and found a 1923 66k so the decals match. But the 9 spoke wheel I got doesn’t work for this machine. It’s too short where it slides onto the machine and doesn’t line up where you attach the stop motion knob.
    Attached Thumbnails img_7755.jpeg  
    Old 06-12-2024, 10:06 AM

Okay, I'm starting to understand. It took a bit. I know that the hand wheels with the bobbin winder attached are different. I don't think there was a 66 spoked wheel that had a bobbin winder. If I really wanted one of those hand cranks (which I don't for a couple of reasons) I think I would get a rubber belt to put on when needed to wind a bobbin or actually I have a Sidewinder that I would use. I worked on a machine (Franklin) that even though it had a swing away motor, it uses a separate spring or rubber belt to wind the bobbin.

ETA: or is that the other hand wheel in the picture that has the bobbin winder attached to the belt guard?

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-12-2024 at 10:08 AM.
    Old 06-19-2024, 04:18 AM

After way more reading I realized if I wanted to make this particular machine hand crank I’d have to swap the hand wheel bushing, which I do not want to mess with. So, I’m keeping it treadle and I scooped up a 1926 66 off eBay that I can 100% convert without this issue. It currently has a solid wheel and belt driven motor, wiring is toast. It’s perfect for this project. And I have a 9 spoke and bobbin winder waiting for it. I am curious about why you don’t care for the stop motion knob hand crank? I’ll either get a vintage or reproduction crank now that I can. But why no like?
    Old 06-19-2024, 07:19 AM

From my understanding, the stop motion hand crank only stitches one stitch per rotation of the crank. Also, based on the youtube link I gave above, it looks like you have to turn the crank in a counter clockwise direction, whereas the 'normal' direction to turn a crank would be in a clockwise direction.
    Old 06-21-2024, 04:50 AM

I appreciate the information! I also wanted to share this blog I came across that really gave a lot of excellent information on hand wheels.

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/lo...heels.html?m=1
    Old 06-24-2024, 04:44 AM

Thanks for sharing that info. I don't think I'll use it anytime soon, but it's good to know it's there.

bkay