Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer Treadle Machine cabinet #6 >
  • Singer Treadle Machine cabinet #6

• Singer Treadle Machine cabinet #6

Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 AM

When looking for a replacement you may need to find a machine with the same hinges. I don't know how comparable they are between pre and post WWI /WWII machines. The hinges belong to the cabinet as much as the machine. My 1950 model 201 doesn't have the round plate part in the hinge, just the minimal rectangular part show. I measured the distance between the inner side of these (the rectangular part in the round plates on yours), it's 23,5 cm, and from center to center it's 24,5 cm. These are the standard full size machine, and the flat bed should have the same shape and measures.
    Old 05-30-2017, 03:25 PM
    Banned

You don't remove the hinges when you take the machine out of the cabinet.Tip the machine back and you'll see a little grub screw holding the hinge pin in the machine. Just loosen the grub screws and lift the machine off of the hinge pins. I'm pretty sure but not 100% positive that the 115 has standard hinge pin spacing. Most all of the full size Singers have the same bed size and hinge spacing. If the hinge pins are a little over 9 inches center to center than you can put a 15, 66, 201,, etc. in that cabinet.

Cari
    Old 05-30-2017, 03:31 PM

I can't figure out how the hinges go onto the machine in one of my cabinets. Another I have (1955) has similar round hinges to yours and it looks like a grub screw in the machine holds the end of the hinges in place.
    Old 05-30-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by crowmel
    I was told the machine head was a 115, I looked up the Singer number and found that it is a 1910 66-1. My new questions are "does just any 66 fit into the cabinet?" There are several I have found on the Internet with different second numbers, i.e. 16-18, etc. And, if I find one that is a portable base, will that work in the cabinet?

Thanks
    Mel
    Originally Posted by crowmel
    The singer number is G7831773 and see attached for pictures of hinges..

Mel
    Mel, I think you didn't look far enough for the serial number. I have heard of some discrepancies with the serial numbers and it is frequently with the "G" serial numbers. If you look on page 30 of the pdf you should find:
    G- 7827576 7832575 115 5000 February 11 1920
    - so yes it seems to be a 115. I don't have a 115 but from my understanding you have to look to the underside to tell the difference between 115 and 15.

A few threads on this board:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t216990.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t246099.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t240338.html
    There is a link in one of the above to --- http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...l-t235346.html which unfortunately the links to the pictures that were there no longer work.

In answer to your question about a portable working in a cabinet. I agree with Cari about the Singer full size flat bed machines will fit into the cabinet. I got a new portable machine in 1972 that was in a plastic case. I have placed a 1902 model 15K26 (I think that is the variety number), a 1903 model 27-4, and a 1906 model 66-1 (probably several others, too) which all have fit fine in the case and back into a cabinet.

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    You don't remove the hinges when you take the machine out of the cabinet.Tip the machine back and you'll see a little grub screw holding the hinge pin in the machine. Just loosen the grub screws and lift the machine off of the hinge pins. I'm pretty sure but not 100% positive that the 115 has standard hinge pin spacing. Most all of the full size Singers have the same bed size and hinge spacing. If the hinge pins are a little over 9 inches center to center than you can put a 15, 66, 201,, etc. in that cabinet.

Cari
    There are some non-Singer machines full size machines that will work as well. There are some that might have different size holes in the bed and some that might have the holes spaced differently. My experience is that the full size Singers fit. I think you may have to take out the plate that the treadle belt goes through off to get some later models to fit ( like the 600 series machines.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 05-30-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    Old 05-30-2017, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2
    I can't figure out how the hinges go onto the machine in one of my cabinets. Another I have (1955) has similar round hinges to yours and it looks like a grub screw in the machine holds the end of the hinges in place.
    Originally Posted by Mickey2
    The very early 66 might have different hinges in the back, the earliest I have seen have dated to 1920 or a few years before (it was introduced in 1900). I know some very early 15s have different hinges in the back of the base, but it's a much older model.
    A picture of the machine and cabinet that you can't figure out would helpful.

The 66-1 has the same hinge spacing and attach the same as a 66-16. The 15s are the same. I don't have a Improved Family which was the precursor to the 15, so I can't answer that one. I do know that the fiddle base VS2 will not fit the same cabinet and have different hinges than the 27s & 127s do.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.