Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • so what foot Do I use for FMQ on Molly >
  • so what foot Do I use for FMQ on Molly

• so what foot Do I use for FMQ on Molly

Old 09-15-2017, 05:29 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    Default so what foot Do I use for FMQ on Molly

Thanks again, everyone, for all the help trying to find out how to use a Big Foot to a FW 221. Apparently I can't. So how do I FMQ ? What foot do I use? TIA
    Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK
    Thanks again, everyone, for all the help trying to find out how to use a Big Foot to a FW 221. Apparently I can't. So how do I FMQ ? What foot do I use? TIA
    I didn't see any pictures, so not sure why the new Big Foot doesn't work on a FW. Have you checked out https://singer-featherweight.com/pro...y-darning-foot Another possibility, would be the needle clamp screw isn't long enough so maybe http://shop.sew-classic.com/Screw-ne...crew-skl-1.htm or http://shop.sew-classic.com/Screw-Ke...-Screw-SKL.htm Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Old 09-16-2017, 04:51 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Thanks so much. I get emails from that company (yours?) and wondered if that was the foot I needed. I will order it ASAP! May also order screw.
    Old 09-16-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK
    Thanks so much. I get emails from that company (yours?) and wondered if that was the foot I needed. I will order it ASAP! May also order screw.
    I'm not sure which company you are getting emails from, as there were two that I linked to. I just know that April at the first link knows her attachments and featherweights. I have watched some of her videos and even spoke to her husband years ago about some questions I had about a pinker.

The second and third links (Jenny) I have ordered from her, as have many on this board. I have read about people contacting her if they are not sure exactly what they need. Another link for low shank feet is http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shank-Feet_c5.htm

Good luck on getting the right foot to FMQ with Molly. I'm sorry. I haven't actually FMQ'd so can't really help. I just know I have seen (and have) several darning/free motion feet. Actually, I used a vintage darning spring on a 301 (since it goes over the needle and not attached to needle bar) and did darn a sock. I was very favorably impressed with how well it worked. I'm sure Free Motion would be different than darning as it is layers and not in a hoop.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Old 09-17-2017, 06:12 AM

Somewhere-a long time ago-I read that FW's weren't for free motion quilting, but for piecing. I never kept the article because I only piece on my FW and do quilting on bigger stronger machines or my LA. I hope your machine holds up.
    Old 09-17-2017, 09:35 AM
    KLO

J & J, Thanks for those links. I don't intend to quilt on my FW but think I would like to have a foot for that just in case I go to a workshop or elsewhere traveling with my FW and want to do a bit of quilting. It would be nice to have that foot on hand then.
    Old 09-17-2017, 09:35 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
    Somewhere-a long time ago-I read that FW's weren't for free motion quilting, but for piecing. I never kept the article because I only piece on my FW and do quilting on bigger stronger machines or my LA. I hope your machine holds up.
    Not true really. It can be done on just about any domestic machine but how well depends on the machine and the skill of the operator. It's the tiny throat space that limits what you can do with a FW.

Cari