Some Featherweight help?

Old 06-18-2023, 06:17 AM

Default Some Featherweight help?

I recently got a Singer Featherweight 1957 machine. Overall it’s been sewing great, but there’s one issue I’m not sure how to fix.

I’ve noticed that as I’m piecing a block or chain piecing or really any quilting, if I pause to adjust something or take out a pin, the machine sometimes doesn’t start back up and I have to pull the balance wheel towards me like my treadle machine to get it to sew again. It’s very unpredictable when it occurs, but it’s annoying when I’m stopping and starting and it doesn’t always start back up for me. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Old 06-18-2023, 07:04 AM

https://singer-featherweight.com/pages/about

if you haven’t visited this site, it has a ton of helpful info on featherweights.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
https://singer-featherweight.com/pages/about

if you haven’t visited this site, it has a ton of helpful info on featherweights.

I go to that site a lot and I sent them a message today about the issue, so I hope I hear back…
Old 06-18-2023, 07:59 AM

I think it may be the nature of the Featherweight, but I'm wondering if https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...sting-the-belt may help???

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-18-2023, 08:05 AM

My FW's don't do that but my 301a does. Sometimes its really annoying. It was my mom's machine and I remember her teaching me to give the wheel a nudge before I start sewing. It may just be a glitch in those foot pedals (301s use the same foot pedal/power cord as most FWs.
Old 06-18-2023, 05:31 PM

Be sure that the motor has been greased. Mine remind me that I need to grease the motor when they act like that.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:54 AM

LC, mine does that too from time to time. Greasing the motor, humm. Never thought of that. Let us know what you find out from FW Shop.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:51 AM

WMUTeach, be careful as to what grease to use. While the featherweight shop would disagree, some have used regular petroleum jelly. The modern Singer grease is different from what is needed for the FW and other motors of that era. Also Tri-Flow grease is not to be used on the motors that take grease.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-19-2023, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by LogCabin82
I recently got a Singer Featherweight 1957 machine. Overall it’s been sewing great, but there’s one issue I’m not sure how to fix.

I’ve noticed that as I’m piecing a block or chain piecing or really any quilting, if I pause to adjust something or take out a pin, the machine sometimes doesn’t start back up and I have to pull the balance wheel towards me like my treadle machine to get it to sew again. It’s very unpredictable when it occurs, but it’s annoying when I’m stopping and starting and it doesn’t always start back up for me. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
I'm not sure how the foot controller is attached to that machine, but I'd be inclined to try a different one.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:10 PM

Sometimes the belt can get a little loose. It's an easy fix.

Watson

Belt tightening