Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Sophie's choice man... I had to choose between a Kenmore or a Singer today! >
  • Sophie's choice man... I had to choose between a Kenmore or a Singer today!

• Sophie's choice man... I had to choose between a Kenmore or a Singer today!

Old 02-08-2014, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller
    foufymaus,

Clean the machine's insides within an inch of it's life. Then oil it really good with Tri-Flow oil and (I think it has gears too ) grease the gears if it has them, with Tri-Flow grease. Then run the stuffins out of it and do it over again. That will help quiet it down a bit.

I have one much uglier than yours and it's a great, albeit noisy sewing machine. Mine doesn't have a home yet, if I had the room I'd put it in a cabinet.
    Mine doesn't have the light switch either .... hmmmm.

Joe
    I oiled and re-oiled it. Right now it's marinating. LOL Her insides were dry as the 1930's dust bowl. I found a manual that said that the motor did not need to be oiled. Oh My Word. *head desk* lol She's a noisy gal but i think if i can find a way to pad her insides with felt or something it would cut the noise down a bit. The motor which is not original as far as i can tell has a bit of a whine from the bushings there's a bit of a spark too. I might have to pop them out and sand them down a bit. Luckily I know a semi-retired electrician.

I ended up loosening up the belt because who ever played with the motor tightened it to where it wouldn't turn and if it did you had to turn the hand wheel to get it started.
    Old 02-08-2014, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    They are interesting machines, but I catch and release them. The noise is just too much for me. But maybe ear plugs are the way to go? There are a few people that treadle them.
    Noise cancelling headphones *wink* At wal-mart they sell one set that is noise cancelling ear protection and you can attach your mp3 player to them if you want. Maybe I'll check them out. Cause she is a noisy beastie. lol
    Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
    Congrats on your "new" machine! Hope she sews great~
    So far so good, she does 7 layers of flannel like they're butter.
    Old 02-08-2014, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by mlmack
    What model of Kenmore did you leave behind?
    I think it was this model, it looked very similar to this one.
    : [ATTACH=CONFIG]461076[/ATTACH]

Via @ http://www.vintagesewingmachine.net/
    Attached Thumbnails kenmore-158-18130.jpg  
    Old 02-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    They are interesting machines, but I catch and release them. The noise is just too much for me. But maybe ear plugs are the way to go? There are a few people that treadle them.
    I've noticed that Kenmore machines fit their own tables, but not Singer tables or others so much. Is there a treadle table for a Kenmore?

Another couple questions about a Kenmore, please. I have a 158.xxx that was gifted to me complete with cams but not feet. Where can I get feet, and am I looking for Kenmore high shank, just plain high shank, or what? Also, how does one get the top off for maintenance as well as the hand wheel?

Thanks,
    Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 02-08-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    Old 02-08-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute
    I've noticed that Kenmore machines fit their own tables, but not Singer tables or others so much. Is there a treadle table for a Kenmore?

Another couple questions about a Kenmore, please. I have a 158.xxx that was gifted to me complete with cams but not feet. Where can I get feet, and am I looking for Kenmore high shank, just plain high shank, or what? Also, how does one get the top off for maintenance as well as the hand wheel?

Thanks,
    Cricket
    Most of the Kenmore machine beds have square corners, so the Kenmore machines are not compatible with Singer cabinets. I can't say that I have ever seen a Kenmore treadle machine.

You need to measure how far the presser foot attachment screw is from the bed of the machine in order to determine what style of presser foot you need. I just sold a Kenmore 158.19410 that used low shank feet, but the same machine with a 1 or a 2 instead of a 0 in the model number took high shank feet.

On the 2 Kenmore 158.XXXX machines I had/have, the top just came off by lifting up on it, as it was only held on by a couple of clips.

Not sure about the hand wheel, as I haven't removed one from either machine.
    Old 02-08-2014, 03:44 PM

I've heard that some Kenmores had a "super high feet", I guess it was longer than the standard High Feet. I have Kenmores both in High shank and Low shank. High shank feet are difficult to find but there is an adapter sold that will allow low shank feet to be used on them.
    Old 02-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    It's one of three we are taking to my brother's house so his two college age daughters can choose. They had looked at brand new plastic machines, and decided they'd rather go vintage.
    Smart girls, a good upbringing, maybe both.

Nice looking machine Foufymaus. Too bad you couldn't get both but on the bright side you did get to bring one home.
    I don't know anything about that model other than I like how it looks and wouldn't mind driving one.
    Rodney
    Old 02-10-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by foufymaus
    *waves*

Hello again!

So today I was up in my thrifting stomping grounds searching for a Kenmore 158 series to go with my newly purchased cams. *see previous post* I did find one for $20 but it didn't go, the light did come on but there was no needle movement. Right next to that machine was a lovely Singer for $25. As a person with SMAD (Sewing Machine Addiction Disorder) I knew i had to limit myself to only one machine at a time and my hard budget limit for any machine is $30. So...I had to make a choice. I had only brought enough for one machine. Seeing how it takes me over an hour to get to my thrifting stomping grounds, I knew I couldn't come back with $$ for the other machine. I had to make a choice! The Singer or the Kenmore. I had orphan cams for both of them at home.

*hangs head*

I feel bad that I had to leave one behind... Seriously... just awful. I wish I could have bought both of them. LOL

Although I favor Kenmores, by like a lot! I have quite a few of the little buggers. I have one Brothers, and a Montgomery Ward Signature, a Dressmaker, a Riccar Treadle (inherited) *shrugs* Ok so i favor Kenmores and Japanese models over Singer's. It doesn't mean I don't like them... I do have two of them. A Fashionmate 237 and a Graduate something or other.

Now I have three of them. I'd like to introduce you to my latest machine baby, A Singer 328K Style-O- Matic. She's a dirty gal with sticky gears. She's missing a few bits and bobbles, the plastic thread spools, and the knob that turns and locks the thread stitch length. She runs pretty well and her light bulb did turned on. I had bought her cams in November of 2013 just because well, cams. haha. Turns out when I scoped her out there was a flat disk cam for zigzag still in the machine and I recognized it as belonging to the set I had bought already.

By going through this website: http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...l-numbers.html

I have deduced that her birthday is coming up in exactly 1 week. She was 'born' on February 14, 1963, in Kilbowie Scotland (Great Britain). Labeled as a Heavy Duty Home machine. So she's a little over half a century years old. 51 years total. The only real complaint I found for her is that she is noisy. But i figured since she's spring loaded and has to click against the cams she deserves to be a bit on the noisy side. Her bones rattle a bit more than the newer gals. lol I have to figure out how to get in and oil her. Most kenmore's have their motors hanging on the outside She has her's inside. Something different for me to fiddle with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460936[/ATTACH]

Here's more pics in this abum. : http://imgur.com/a/1NtqP
    Would you possibly need cams for your MW Signature machine?
    Old 02-10-2014, 10:58 PM

I have this same machine, I think....mine is a lovely shade of aqua blue and it looks really clean and the case is also in great shape....but, like everyone says, it is a noise maker for sure......I just got it back from the shop ($150.00 later) and was kinda dissapointed that it is so loud ....my hubby took it apart and put molly lube oil on everything he could find that needed a drop of grease........that helped a little bit........also found it makes more noise with some of the bobbins, worse than with others........changed needles, that didnt help.......it is pretty, now has a years wararanty, but I am not sure I am really happy with it........