Speed wobbles

Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 AM

Default Speed wobbles

The Pfaff 130 battle rages on. I'm getting close to a working machine but it has been an uphill battle all the way. I am not sure if I will hate this machine for all it's put me through or hold it more dear for the work that I had to put into it.

Since it came to me frozen, without a belt and what looks to be a non regular motor mount I am not sure if this is all part of the problem. I am getting high speed wobbles. The motor is a 1.3 Amp and has good power, but once I really get it going the machine (in a plastic case) walks around the table. Not good. I would imagine a sturdier box or table would help some but I am wondering what else I can do here.

Is the motor itself out of balance? I have seen some motors where there are drill holes inside on the stripy silvery plates in the motor. Is that to balance the motor? *I don't know the tech. words here.

Could it be the motor bracket? It doesn't click right to the motor boss perfectly, but feels secure. Or maybe could it be something else? There are so many little adjustments you can make with the motor by lowering or raising it, pulling it tighter to the body, adjusting the pulley farther in or out and then re-aligning the motor via the bracket. Would any of this help with the wobbles?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 AM

Christy,

Look on the bottom of the plastic case, are there any rubber feet? Most cases I've got came to me with decayed or missing pads. I've had to replace many of them.

Also, release your stop motion knob and run the motor at various speeds. If it's out of balance you'll feel it.
More than likely it's the rods and shafts inside the machine that's vibrating.

Joe
Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

It is possible that someone dropped the machine on the wheel end and bent something inside it.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Do you have a little rubber wheel that is on the end of the motor shaft? If you do, you may have a flat tire. LOL. I had a flat and had to order a new one.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:05 PM

your motor bracket looked like a universal one, IIRC. Is it secure, is the belt a good one?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:50 PM

It doesn't have a rubber wheel and the "feet" are all there on the case bottom. I tried it outside the case and it was more stable-not 100%, but better.

I don't think it's been dropped because I don't see any scarring but of course it's possible. It has a good belt. It's an orange one with the nubbies.

I would think having the motor bracket that was made for the machine would hold things at the best location so I located the correct bracket and ordered one. Crossing my fingers that helps!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 AM

Christy,

A proper motor bracket should help. I have one machine that the bracket holds the motor so close to the machine head that during heavy sewing it bangs against the head. I had to put a couple sticky pads on the motor to cushion it. However the vibration doesn't cause the machine to move on the table.

So what I'm getting at in my overly wordy response is that a proper bracket should hold the motor more steady.

Joe
Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller
Christy,

A proper motor bracket should help. I have one machine that the bracket holds the motor so close to the machine head that during heavy sewing it bangs against the head. I had to put a couple sticky pads on the motor to cushion it. However the vibration doesn't cause the machine to move on the table.

So what I'm getting at in my overly wordy response is that a proper bracket should hold the motor more steady.

Joe
I am hoping this is correct and will keep the stickies in mind in case I need something like that! Being "wordy"-never a problem.