Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Strange problem with Featherweight >
  • Strange problem with Featherweight

• Strange problem with Featherweight

Old 06-27-2021, 04:51 AM

Unhappy Strange problem with Featherweight

Hello everyone! I’ve had my Featherweight for a number of years and I absolutely love it. I’ve been able to self maintain up until now. When I sew the small wheel( I’m sure there’s a better name) that holds the belt slowly creeps out of place . I been having to push it back after a few inches of sewing. My husband thinks that I just need to tighten the small screw. But it feels pretty tight already and I’m afraid that I would create a bigger problem.
    I’m hoping that this very knowledgeable group can help.
    Thank you in advance for all your help!
    picture shows the part with the issue , when it’s pushed back in place and when it comes out.
    Attached Thumbnails 44e1dd2a-6293-47b6-a0c3-440da12124e1.jpeg   5fccad84-699e-4ba7-9cd3-345d14cef6e1.jpeg   17a8ce43-6334-4506-9aa7-b7fd527ff5a0.jpeg  
    Old 06-27-2021, 06:21 AM

A shop that service and sells 221s told me that up to an 1/8" of "play" at the belt pulley is ok. The part at issue is not the end screw, but something internal that I don't recall. Collar, bushing???

It sounds as if you love using your FW, and that it has stitched many, many miles for you. It may be time to pull apart the motor, or send it in for servicing.
    Old 06-27-2021, 06:52 AM

Can you move the shaft of the motor back and forth (when the motor is not running)? I've had motors where non-metal bushings, or spacers, inside the motor, on either or both ends of the shaft, have weakened with age and broken. If it was me I would remove the motor and open it up and see if any pieces fall out, then go from there.
    Old 06-27-2021, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

I would try the easy fix first of just putting on a new belt. The belt might be gett8ng worn.
    Old 06-27-2021, 11:50 AM

Welcome to QB. To me, it looks like the set screw on the pulley is in the correct spot. It also looks like the pulley is moving out from the shaft, as I don't see it in the second picture. I would take the belt off and see if you can move the pulley with your fingers. There is a little bit of play, but if you can pull the pulley and the middle of it stays where it was, so you feel like it will come off the shaft, then I would agree that the set screw needs to be tightened. You will want to use a hollow ground screwdriver that fits perfectly. From my understanding the screws can be brittle or stuck. It looks like the set screw is in the correct position. I'm thinking that if there was something else wrong, you could see the end of the shaft in the center of the pulley at the same position as relation to the pulley when it comes out, as indicated by the arrows.

fwpulleyin.jpg

fwpulleyout.jpg

Maybe if you take a picture like the first one while it is out, that would help identify or confirm something.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Old 06-29-2021, 04:02 AM

Default Strange problem with Featherweight

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try to adjust the belt. I’m not confident or brave enough to mess with the motor. If it doesn’t work, I will bring it to the shop. The repairman there is very knowledgeable with Featherweights. It won’t be for a few weeks, as I’m away from home right now.
    Thank you for your reply and sharing your wealth of information!