Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Table/cabinet interchangeability???  generic Singer to Pfaff 360 >
  • Table/cabinet interchangeability??? generic Singer to Pfaff 360

• Table/cabinet interchangeability??? generic Singer to Pfaff 360

Old 05-12-2020, 12:52 PM

zrooluk, Welcome abord. John hasn't been on for about 4 years. but others may help you out.
    Our workbench Janey knows a lot about this..
    Old 05-13-2020, 04:20 AM

This is a list of Singer Sewing Machine cabinets with photos. The cabinets for the 201, 15-91, 66, 400, 500, 600 and 700 series are standard Singer Cabinets. The 99 is a smaller machine, as is the 221. Those cabinets are rare, though. Do not buy a Sears/Kenmore cabinet, as they are not the standard you are looking for.
    As JoeJr. noted, the empty cabinets are widely available.
    bk
    Old 05-13-2020, 05:39 AM

As I think about it, there may be a little more to it than just finding an empty Singer table. The first photo is a table which held a Singer 603 with a "full size" bed. I put a 15-91 in it but had to add the black "spacer" piece at the right side of the opening, so if you find a table with that spacer in it, you might have to remove it. The second photo is a table with a 15-91 where you can see that the front folding piece has an arm on it to fill in the space to the right of the bed, so this table is somewhat limited on what machines I could put in it, unless I wanted to try some creative wood working.

Have the machine measurements with you if you find an empty table.
    Attached Thumbnails img_0179.jpg   img_0181.jpg  
    Old 05-13-2020, 06:09 AM

I believe the Pfaff 130 would need the spacer. Many of the cabinets seen on CL and elsewhere don't have any info on what machine had been in them. I've also seen cabinets that were altered to fit a different machine than what they were originally made for.

John has made different templates for the Work Stand. But, those were made for the machines around here and I remember he did have to alter the "Singer" some for full size machines and Japanese machines and the round corner Kenmores. He was able to make it so that it would work with as many of them as possible.

I thought I would be smart and trace out the opening for full size machines with hinge spacing to take with me when I was out and about. I found a cabinet for super cheap and the shape, size and hinge spacing was right. Turns out the actual hinge pins were larger so they wouldn't fit for the machine I wanted to put in it. I think it was Montgomery Wards machines have the same hinge spacing, but are offset differently than the "Singer" machines. There was an adapter for them so they would work in the "Singer" cabinet. Of course, we all know that all sewing machines are Singer, even though they have "Davis" "Pfaff" "Necchi" or something else on them.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.