Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Tension Question w.r.t Replacing Belt on Phoenix 429 >
  • Tension Question w.r.t Replacing Belt on Phoenix 429

• Tension Question w.r.t Replacing Belt on Phoenix 429

Old 09-17-2013, 06:45 AM

Thanks again, Mark and Joe especially, for the helpful input. Will let you know how it all goes! Will use the rubbery noodle belt for now, but yes, point very well taken about the v belt. Thanks again!
    Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 AM

Speaking of belts, I have a model 158 Kenmore and can't seem to get the right belt. I had it to the OSMG and he put a belt on it but it still turned real hard and was just not right. I decided to tackle it myself. After much tinkering I realized the pulley was out of alignment. Washer was in the wrong place. It works better now but still not right. The belt seems to be too wide riding up too high on the pulleys. I ordered one from Sears parts, was assured it was correct, when it came it was the same wrong belt. I haven't pursued it further yet. It does work but not like it used to. As for measuring the length, you can usually put a steel measure tape around both pulleys and get the size close enough. String sometimes stretch. Just my 2 cents worth!!
    Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM

If it turns hard after putting on a new belt I always loosen the belt and try it until it feels right.

I have found that currently available belts are not always the same as the original belts even though the numbers are the same.
    And I have even found some of the belts ride higher on the pulleys than you'd think they should.

Joe
    Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 PM

Joe, what do you mean, "ride higher on the pulleys"?

By the way, I put my new belt on, and I did raise the motor a bit to accommodate for its snugger belt. The motor is in fact now as high as it can go. So, I can only hope that this will do! :-)

Had a fun tinker while I was at it. I noticed a small hole on the end of the motor, and when I removed that end of the motor, it revealed that the small hole was, on the other side, a tiny little "slide" which leads into a small reservoir in which there appears to be a wick. This is at the non-commutator end of the motor. So, I assume this is where one puts Vaseline or motor grease? The way the little slide was looked perfect for a drop of oil, but I have read never, ever to put oil on the motor. Is that the case here, with the wick situation? I am pretty sure the answer is grease. But it soooo looks like an oil hole and slide. Opinions?

The machine is running just dreamily now.

Thank you, everyone, who has given me such fabulous help, both here in this post and also earlier. I cannot believe how much I have learned here.