Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Is there a list somewhere on what machines or not so good? >
  • Is there a list somewhere on what machines or not so good?

• Is there a list somewhere on what machines or not so good?

Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Not blocked for me either. What a POS machine.
    same as a JANG - Just Ain't No Good
    Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 PM
    Power Poster

I go the 285 out to look at it - bashed in plastic stitch regulator cover. Then the phone rang and I got distracted. But I think it is going to be excellent for parts.
    Old 10-05-2013, 07:44 PM

I don't know. If the guy in that video had done a better job of applying grease to the gear, it might have sounded better.

Still, it looked like it ran pretty well, and it would still be better than most of the cheap machines sold today.

It isn't like you need much of a system to rotate the hook.
    Old 10-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Vridar
    When I retried to load, I got the same message. Hmmmm?
    I did not have any problem ... Interesting video.]I would not buy one
    Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 AM
    Power Poster

I think the machines I would avoid like the plague are the ones where the seller says something like -

"This was my grandma's - and she never used it." Ummm - why not?
    Old 10-06-2013, 08:47 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
    I go the 285 out to look at it - bashed in plastic stitch regulator cover. Then the phone rang and I got distracted. But I think it is going to be excellent for parts.
    HA. I parted out the 285 this morning about 5 am. Plastic stitch regulator and cover broken. The pressure foot lifter was plastic and broken. The bobbin shuttle parts were very cheesy and the finger that holds it down was bent. It was seriously noisy, too. I have a nice 185 in it's case now. I have a Singer 66 with a new slide plate so far. I don't think grease would help that machine. Too many deserving machines out there.
    Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 AM

Here is a link to interesting article that warns us away from machines made at a certain factory. http://www.ismacs.net/sewing_machine...recommend.html
    Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 AM

Here's my humble opinion, but make your own decision! As you delve into the world of vintage machines you'll come up with your own ideas.

I taught sewing classes in a private school and through the years had the opportunity to repair many brands. My favorite machines are made with all metal parts. They very rarely needed repairs, only adjustments.

I don't remember which decade they started using nylon gears (late 60s?) but machines with nylon gears are second on my list. The nylon gears rot/turn brittle if the wrong lubrication was placed on them through the years. I replaced 1 or 2 often enough that I've become a 'snob' of sorts and choose to only have vintage machines that are all metal in my house. But they are still well built machines and shouldn't be overlooked.

Last place would be any 'cheap' computerized machine made today. Those would be sold at WalMart, etc. I'm not saying they're bad machines! I bought one from Costco, $149, and use it when I travel. But I consider it a disposable sewing machine. The gears are plastic, etc. and when one breaks it's time to buy another one.

I traveled with my Bernina 640 once, using the Bernina rolling tote made for sewing machines. But the rough terrain (going over curbs, cracks in sidewalks, door sills, etc.) was just too much for a $6k machine, in my opinion. I bought the Costco special (Brother quilt edition) for travel... $149 was a no-brainer there!

This forum is a wonderful place to learn about vintage machines, and there are wonderful people who share advise on how to repair machines.

Last edited by Christine-; 10-06-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Old 10-06-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I think the machines I would avoid like the plague are the ones where the seller says something like -

"This was my grandma's - and she never used it." Ummm - why not?
    My grandma had a very nice machine that her father, the tailor, bought her as a wedding present. She never used it, like ever. The only sewing she ever did was darning socks and sewing on buttons. They got rid of it when I was about 5. I would have love it I bet.
    Old 10-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Very good video, I've never seen internal gears like that before. It does sound like a tank. I'm much more partial to the machines that have NO gears and are levers. They are much easier to work on and I think they are way quieter. That's why my faves are the 15-88 or 90. And it looks like the 99 or 66 would be great too. And but to be fair, my 221 is very quiet also and it has a few gears in it.