thread tension

Old 08-14-2023, 04:48 PM

Default thread tension

I'm working on learning ruler quilting. Annette helped on my first try. My needle wasn't picking up the bobbin thread. She told me to lower the foot. I've lowered it all the way. Now, it's picking up the bobbin thread, but it looks like the upper tension is too loose. I was getting "eyelashes". I've tightened the upper tension all the way and it's still not even. It's better, but not at all balanced.
I watched videos and read the manual. I've got the bobbin tension to where Westalee says it should be. Now that I've turned the upper tension to it's max, should I put the top tension back to the starting place and then

Old 08-14-2023, 06:37 PM

If the eyelashes are on the bottom, you should loosen the bobbin tension. Every machine is different when it comes to tensions. Thread and fabric will also change the tensions.

Are you using a good polyester thread? Not Coats and Clark -- we can't get a balanced tension with it. Superior, Gutermann, Mettler, are all good thread brands.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:10 AM

I was using the Gutermann in the upper, but Coats in the bottom. I needed black for the bobbin, so I bought Gutermann for the bottom yesterday. The bottom looks perfect with the new tension on the bobbin. The top is too tight now.

So, just to make sure I have this straight, the bobbin is just supposed to stand up in your hand. Then I balance the top tension to the bobbin tension?

Thanks so much for your help, Annette. I think I'm going to enjoy ruler quilting.

bkay
Old 08-16-2023, 06:17 AM

With 2600+ posts, there's probably not much I can tell you about sewing machines, but I will offer this:

https://www.amazon.com/100gm-Standar...dp/B00A9XFZVC/

An Andy Tube video recommends that scale to set bottom tension. There is a factory spec if you can find it, but for most domestics an ounce of tension will suffice, 25 to 28 grams. I learned early on to clean and polish everything in the thread path, including the hook, bobbin, bobbin case and upper tension unit. I use a Dremel but it's not a necessity, just speeds things up. It kind of baselines everything and eliminates questions.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by AlZilla
With 2600+ posts, there's probably not much I can tell you about sewing machines, but I will offer this:
Don't overestimate my knowledge. I do, however love to learn new things.

I'm just starting to learn about ruler quilting. There are videos online about ruler quilting, but most are using newer machines. Westalee has one on vintage machine ruler quilting. That's where I got my information on the bobbin tension. The presenter says you may need a second bobbin case to use for regular sewing. To me, that means that the tension needed for ruler quilting is different than normal tension, but I'm not sure.

That's why I'm asking Annette. She's familiar with both vintage machines and ruler quilting. Other people may know as well, but she is the only one I have seen posting about both.
bkay
Old 08-16-2023, 12:07 PM

I finally got it working right. The problem was the thread. It was a spool of Gutermann clear polyester that I have used as a top thread on other projects. I think the problem was that I had used "scotch" tape to secure the end of the thread. It was intermittently sticking to itself on the spool, causing a problem. I had a new one, and using it solved the problem for right now.

Thanks
bk
Old 08-16-2023, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bkay
I finally got it working right. The problem was the thread. It was a spool of Gutermann clear polyester that I have used as a top thread on other projects. I think the problem was that I had used "scotch" tape to secure the end of the thread. It was intermittently sticking to itself on the spool, causing a problem. I had a new one, and using it solved the problem for right now.

Thanks
bk
Thanks for letting us know the solution. I was watch these threads and have often used info I found here to solve my machine problems
Old 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by bkay
So, just to make sure I have this straight, the bobbin is just supposed to stand up in your hand.
bkay
That's if you're using a longarm, not a vintage machine. It will be different for your machine.

Glad you found and fixed the problem!

Have fun quilting!
Old 08-17-2023, 05:25 AM

Actually, I'm not sure what I did, other than changing the thread to Gutermann. I ended up tightening the bobbin tension back to about where it was. I changed the top tension so many times, I'm not sure where it was before. Whatever it was, it seems to be working. I'm ready to finish that quilt, now (fingers crossed).

My grandniece's birthday is the 31st. I need to finish it and get it in the mail.

bkay