Thrift Shop Find Singer 401A

Old 05-11-2015, 05:07 PM

Thanks for all the wisdom. It actually did come with a manual, which was in great condition besides the front cover. I just didn't picture it. It also came in a table. I took it out to look through the machine. The table is beat up as would be expected so I separated them.
We won't sell it. I found a guy locally who repairs Singers. I saw some of his stuff on Craigslist. He said he's restored 85+ machines and he would give me a free estimate for a full restore. I took the covers off and most of it looks VERY clean. It's dry though, almost no oil, but all the steel is clean.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:02 PM

bower4311, First of all congratulations! You've got a great machine there. For more info on Singer Slants, there is a very good group on Yahoo. Of course, there's also some great info right here. Be sure to check out Tri-flow oil. Most of us vintage folks use it instead of regular sewing machine oil.

Tate
Old 05-11-2015, 07:24 PM

Hey,

Try cleaning and oiling it yourself. You will be happier and know a lot about the machine when you finish. There are several threads here on cleaning and oiling you will want to watch or read. Usually a restore means painting and new decals, both of which will not make it sew any better.
As you can see from the others who posted, 50 years of sewing and they are still working well.
Main thing to remember is metal to metal gets sewing machine oil or TriFlow, and gears get grease.
Happy sewing with your bargain!

Ethel
Old 05-18-2015, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Great deal...Love them thrift stores...
Old 05-18-2015, 05:58 AM

I agree with clean and oil yourself. You will save yourself a lot, probably do a much more thorough job and also learn an awful lot about your machine and how it operates! You will also gather some skills that will come in handy for the next vintage machine you find to either keep or flip!

It's a fun hobby and I think cleaning them and getting them working nicely is the funnest part!