• Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Top thread breaking on featherweight >
  • Top thread breaking on featherweight

• Top thread breaking on featherweight

Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew
    This is exactly the kind of thing that might incentivize some entrepeneur to it do here. Competition drove business away, and it can bring it back.
    This will NOT be resolved any time in the near future. You are 100% that entrepreneurs are driving the way businesses go, but the entrepreneurs are driven by the market demands.

The market is too stupid these days to recognize quality or why quality matters, let alone care enough to make that a marketing point.

When I discuss making Armor for customers it never ceases to amaze me that even in a market where the product is designed to save your live, people today are mostly driven by cost. I had to refuse to make a suit of armor for a gentleman because every time I said "we need to do it this way to be safe" he replied with, well, so and so does not do that, he sells a LOT of armor and his is cheaper than yours" So I said "fine, go buy his."

The gentleman I DID make armor for last year has fought in over 100 fights and has yet to have an Armor failure or even a significant bruise. The gentleman who went to the other guy no longer fights because of the injuries he has received over the last year. When I asked him if he would now consider my armor, he said he did not think it was the armor, just "bad luck" that he got those injuries.....

What can you do....
    Old 06-30-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH
    The gentleman I DID make armor for last year has fought in over 100 fights and has yet to have an Armor failure or even a significant bruise. The gentleman who went to the other guy no longer fights because of the injuries he has received over the last year. When I asked him if he would now consider my armor, he said he did not think it was the armor, just "bad luck" that he got those injuries.....
    Did he work for a tobacco company? Regardless of evidence, some people will tell you what they don't believe. He wanted to save face. Some people have such a strong ego that they'll go on justifying and lying because being right is more important than the truth or even life!
    He doesn't believe it's just bad luck.
    Old 06-30-2014, 02:50 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by manicmike
    Did he work for a tobacco company? Regardless of evidence, some people will tell you what they don't believe. He wanted to save face. Some people have such a strong ego that they'll go on justifying and lying because being right is more important than the truth or even life!
    He doesn't believe it's just bad luck.

OK: my last post not related to the OP subject... Yes, I know he knew the truth. He even went so far as to begin to avoid the fighter who did buy from me....
    Old 06-30-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH
    He even went so far as to begin to avoid the fighter who did buy from me....
    That must make you feel pretty good! I think it's hilarious
    Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 PM

All in all, it boils down to choices, how much we are willing to spend for something, what standards we use in choosing who our desired market is. Do we want to get caught in the trap of undercutting costs, doesn't sound like it. IMO someone who is into the anachronism of armor and and using it, sounds a little ridiculous if they're looking at pinching pennies, you'll get what you pay for, and sometimes less. I see here, a large group of people who don't feel altogether comfortable with a throw away society. I think that's great!!
    Old 07-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Usually if the top is having problems it is the bottom that is causing it. Check your bobbin and all of the other thread areas.