• Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Treadle base re-finishing question >
  • Treadle base re-finishing question

• Treadle base re-finishing question

Old 06-17-2024, 03:07 PM

Default Treadle base re-finishing question

Hello everyone,
    I recently acquired a very badly stored/abused New Williams (?) treadle sewing machine... it had been stored in a wet barn, with mice, for likely over 50 years. It was full of mouse nests. The finish on the machine is gone. The treadle base is rusted, but things do move freely. I intend to refinish the base and make a table top for it. I hope to salvage the drawers, which still have sewing things in them. The top has de-laminated and warped. The machine is beyond saving. It has a family connection, so I'd like to save something from it..
    What sorts of things do I need to do to refurbish the treadle base? I have no idea where to start.
    There was another treadle machine in there, in comparable shape of disrepair, but nothing on the base to indicate the manufacturer. I had to leave that one there...
    Any and all advice welcomed!
    Old 06-17-2024, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ElaineCovid
    ...The machine is beyond saving. It has a family connection, so I'd like to save something from it..
    I'll spare you my soap box spiel about saving the machine. While it may not be brought back quite like it was, it would be good to try and possibly test some products and could be a good practice for repaint.

I'm sure some have torn down irons and brought them back to life. There are probably lots of youtube videos doing it. Here is one that kind of looks promising https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE0YManANs0

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-17-2024 at 08:07 PM.