Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Treadle Choice Help: Singer 9W7 or Seamstress (badged National/New Home Series B) >
  • Treadle Choice Help: Singer 9W7 or Seamstress (badged National/New Home Series B)

• Treadle Choice Help: Singer 9W7 or Seamstress (badged National/New Home Series B)

Old 06-10-2024, 11:50 AM

Default Treadle Choice Help: Singer 9W7 or Seamstress (badged National/New Home Series B)

I only have space for one treadle, and I want to sew on it. What would YOU recommend? I am okay to refurbish, oil, restore machines. I want to sew, piece/quilt on whatever I get, and I'm new to treadling but already have a Singer 15-30 treadle at my vacation home (works well).

1. Singer 9W7 in a fairly decent 7 drawer ornate singer treadle cabinet (#5-6?). Has instruction book, some misc attachments strewn in the drawers, has the slide covers, uses round bobbin? but not sure if it's the large 'donut' kind. One cabinet hinge is broken, so the head is out of the cabinet. Head was loved (sewn with), edge decals worn through, rest decal set looks good. Cost: $100.

2. Seamstress (National machine badged?) in a decent, flip top light/med oak ornate 7 drawer treadle cabinet. Head has the vibrating shuttle slide look (front slide is missing), missing the needle clamp (may be in the parts bag). DOES have the shuttle. The tension is that weird 3 prong top plate (flat tension)? and the wheel is the divided spoke version like a Damascus (another badged National). No instructions. Few attachments, but maybe a set of New Home B will work. I'm guessing it's a 20x1 needle it takes. The cabinet needs polish, but it's beautiful. Decals on head are worn in the front, but rest are in good shape. Cost: $300. Note: from original buyer's family, bought in Toronto Canada, 1885 or a bit later.

Gosh, please help. What would you pick and why?
    Attached Thumbnails singer-9w7-treadle-cabinet-head-top.jpg   singer-9w7-treadle-head-front.jpg   seamstress-treadle-cabinet.jpg   seamstress-new-home-b-front.jpg   seamstress-new-home-model-b-end.jpg  

Old 06-12-2024, 02:36 PM

Hi kwendt,

My husband and I sew only with treadles, and we just love them! And what works for us may not work for you, as in budget and what kind of condition the machines and tables are in. I love the “honest wear” of the machines. They've obviously been used and loved, but that's just part of their history.

Is it possible for you to see these treadles in person? Or get better/close-up pictures of the machines, the parts bag and whatever is in the drawers? That way you could see if the missing parts of the Seamstress are there and if there are bobbins for the 9W. You could also see if there will be any repairs or cleaning that you can tackle or more importantly what you don't want/can't do.

You should also take in to consideration your budget and what are the going prices in your area. But if you really love one of them, you should get it. I've never sewn with either of those machines, but from what I've heard from people who have the 9W, they love them.

Where I live in Maine, the $300 price tag is high for an antique treadle. Unless it's a hard-to-find machine, or it's in immaculate condition or it has all of the attachments, oil can and manual. Or it's one you've been searching for, and you really want it.

The most I have paid for my treadles that I use every day, is $150. Two of them we drove to Vermont and NH to get. They are machines/tables and irons that I wanted and there were none to be found near us.

The others were bought here in Maine, and the most we paid was $80. We did have to clean, de-rust and where needed, add veneer. But we didn't mind, because they were machines we wanted, and we love that part of it too.

Three of the treadles we have, we met the son and granddaughters of the person who used them. So, there is a family history with those machines, and we've been given the history of the previous sewist. We've kept in contact with the families and sent photos of the restored machines.

I don't know if this has helped at all, or if I've just been rambling, but I thought I'd comment, if that's okay.

Most importantly, do what's right for you and have fun! They're incredible machines!

Bags
    Maine

Old 06-14-2024, 06:56 AM

Is the bobbin winder mechanism functional on the Singer? I don't see any little arm to move the thread back and forth as it winds on the bobbin. Not familiar with this model so maybe there's something there that I don't recognize.

Does the Seamstress come with at least a few bobbins? It would be good to know you have a source for both the bobbins and needles that fit the machine. Unfortunately I bought a Minnesota A treadle with unusually long bobbins so at the moment I just have one! Using gray thread for everything 😋

Good luck! Hope you find the perfect treadle!