Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Upper Tension or Speed for FMQ on Vintage Singer >
  • Upper Tension or Speed for FMQ on Vintage Singer

• Upper Tension or Speed for FMQ on Vintage Singer

Old 06-04-2023, 12:55 PM

Default Upper Tension or Speed for FMQ on Vintage Singer

Hi All, I purchased some FMQ templates and a ruler foot for Mabel (Singer 201-2). I got tired of the same old, same old (SID in other words). I tried out on a practice piece and think I have either a speed issue or upper tension issue. I have dropped the feed dog and had to loosened up the presser foot pressure, but my FIRST attempt at using the templates came out ok on the top (2nd pic), but the back is horrendous (1st pic). I did not adjust the tension. Also watched a couple YouTube videos which led me to believe it may be a speed issue and that I am moving my hands too fast in reference to the machine. Just wanted a second opinion. Any ideas? As a side note, I will be practicing some more on test pieces before trying on my current project.

Thanks,
    Shari
    Attached Thumbnails img_20230604_164647771.jpg   img_20230604_164658038.jpg  
    Old 06-04-2023, 01:17 PM

I would tighten the upper tension. It takes some practice to get the speed right, so the stitches are equal lengths. It also helps to have a larger needle. I use a size 90/14 topstitch needle. And polyester thread has a little stretch in it that behaves better than cotton thread for free-motion.
    Old 06-04-2023, 01:33 PM

Yup. It looks like you are moving the piece inconsistently. Moving too fast on the curves is one of the problems I have and it can result in "eyelashing" on the back of the piece. I've never had to change my upper tension, but that's a possibility.