Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • to use the "new" Riccar or go with my old standby? >
  • to use the "new" Riccar or go with my old standby?

• to use the "new" Riccar or go with my old standby?

Old 09-19-2015, 06:37 AM

I love your pattern and fabrics! If you were wearing any one of the three views, (well, View D may not send my heart a-flutter) I would give you extra candy and a mug full of rum - or your beverage of choice! Yes, I read you are the one giving out treats, but that rig should garner you some special favours!

I made my nephew a similar - but much simpler - costume years ago. He was the "best dressed" kid in the school parade! I'm with you; I always managed to find time and materials, even if they were re-sewn thrift store garments or material - to make real fabric costumes with buttons, zips, laces, etc. No Velcro, no tissue paper, no gratuitous glitter.

Pirate, View B, would make me wish for my own long-gone swashbuckling days! Yes; there were women pirates, too.

I have that shirt pattern for my 18th-early 18th century mountain husband! I substitute a band collar.

And to answer the question - oops - the pirates distracted me - I would stick with the machine I'm most comfortable with.

Last edited by Caroline94535; 09-19-2015 at 06:56 AM. Reason: To answer the question! LOL
    Old 09-19-2015, 07:23 AM

Very good point about the needles, I was only able to get 14's last time .....hmmm guess I will hit storage on the way home from the diesel truck yard tonight and grab the Riccar.
    Old 09-19-2015, 09:17 AM

I hope you get going on this. It is a handsome looking design. A lot of work ahead. Good Luck.
    Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 AM
    KLO

Just wanted to say that the kids are going to love you and not just for the treats! Have you figured out what you are going to do about "boots" yet? And when you take a photo to post here, make sure you are in the costume so we can see it in all its and your glory, please. Good luck and don't forget to have fun also.
    Old 09-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Greywuuf thanks for the pattern info. I don't know enough to know but it looks pretty decent to me. It is a lot better than the costumes you can buy at the store. I think it's perfectly fine for your intentions. While the denim may not be historically accurate I do like your fabric choices. Please show us some progress and the finished results too.

Miriam where would a person look to find a pattern or instructions for making something more historically accurate? Say mid to late 1700s? Keep in mind I'm not a tailor so whatever I do would need to be fairly simple. I think in my admittedly limited looking around the only other pattern I found that I thought I could reasonably do was for "Pirates of the Caribbean" costumes. You mentioned historical re-enactment. Are there any sites related to that that you would recommend and would they have any patterns posted?

Things haven't worked out this year where I could even get started in time to be done for Halloween. I'll be lucky to have my real prosthetic done by then. Things are moving the right direction, just slowly. Maybe next year I'll have a costume and a peg leg ready. Should be appropriate for Seafair too.
    Rodney
    Old 09-19-2015, 01:46 PM

(((Rodney))) you're a hero.

Keep making lemonaide from the lemons!
    Old 10-30-2015, 01:06 PM

Just wondering how this is going.
    Rodney