Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • vintage??? Butterfly sewing machine >
  • vintage??? Butterfly sewing machine

• vintage??? Butterfly sewing machine

Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 PM

I know nothing about old sewing machines, but I would have bought it just because it is so pretty!
    Old 09-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ManQuilter66
    AWESOME!!!!! I just bought a Singer Featherweight, would have bought this had I seen it first.
    your new featherweight is a whole lot more portable, you need a forklift for the pretty "Butterfly" machine. I love my treadle machines, but taking a FW to quilting bee is so much easier.
    :lol: :-D
    Old 09-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by tiatoons
    I also bought 1 of these! It was so pretty I had to have it. Now that I have it, it is sitting collecting dust and taking up space. May I ask what you paid for yours? I am going to sell mine at a garage sale and wondering what a fair price would be. I got mine for $25 and the case is still in mint condition. I have had it for quite awhile now.
    Tiatoons,
    Have you sewed with yours yet? I'm interested to know how it does. The old Singer treadles I have are so smooth!
    Old 09-26-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50
    I may want to sell my 1938 FW soon....I already have an 1950 that i only use mostly. Anybody get with me on pm and we'll discuss more on this? In no hurry to sell though, it looks just like my 1950 but seems to be more quieter.
    Most likely your 1938 was used more. I had a 1940 FW that had no decals or shiny paint left anymore and it sewed
    smoother and quieter than my 1954 FW that is so pretty.
    Here is her picture.
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719uxejnX
    Old 09-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Wish I could help...but just had to chime in on what a beautiful machine it is! Lucky you! :mrgreen:
    Old 09-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Sorry, duplicate post.
    Old 05-14-2011, 06:07 AM

Here's part of your ID problem. Companies to capture more of the market did 2 things- put popular topics or names on the machines- such as Universal (universal pictures). The goal of Sears was to convince women they needed a new machine yearly through the machine was the same the scrolling and name would change. National sewing machine company as well as White and others made machines under other names (badge names) for places like Marshall Fields. Because they did not put their own info on the machine they are hard to trace- one odd place to check for info is the underside of the slide bobbin cover. Also to complicate matters further in ID is after WWII the US gave the plans for the Singer 15 and a few others to the Japanese to retool their weapons factors to make items like sewing machines to recover their economy. the American market was flooded with over 5,000 badge names. Several other Europian companies did the same thing after the war as the belief was mistrust in the US of Europe would hurt sales. Try these 2 places for help
    International Sewing Machine Collectors Society and the Japanese Collectors Group on Yahoo. Both are great resources and someone may know more. One machine did cause an international rift. The American Beauty- it was made in Japan. Law suits were launched to stop it. We recently worked on and sold an early 1950's American Beauty that was in Mint condition. It was facinating with over 80 built in stitches
    Old 05-14-2011, 06:07 AM

Here's part of your ID problem. Companies to capture more of the market did 2 things- put popular topics or names on the machines- such as Universal (universal pictures). The goal of Sears was to convince women they needed a new machine yearly through the machine was the same the scrolling and name would change. National sewing machine company as well as White and others made machines under other names (badge names) for places like Marshall Fields. Because they did not put their own info on the machine they are hard to trace- one odd place to check for info is the underside of the slide bobbin cover. Also to complicate matters further in ID is after WWII the US gave the plans for the Singer 15 and a few others to the Japanese to retool their weapons factors to make items like sewing machines to recover their economy. the American market was flooded with over 5,000 badge names. Several other Europian companies did the same thing after the war as the belief was mistrust in the US of Europe would hurt sales. Try these 2 places for help
    International Sewing Machine Collectors Society and the Japanese Collectors Group on Yahoo. Both are great resources and someone may know more. One machine did cause an international rift. The American Beauty- it was made in Japan. Law suits were launched to stop it. We recently worked on and sold an early 1950's American Beauty that was in Mint condition. It was facinating with over 80 built in stitches
    Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM

I would have bought it too. It's beautiful!
    Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM

It is pretty! Never heard of Butterfly. Google it and see what comes up.