Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Industrial Needle Plates and feed dogs >
  • Vintage Industrial Needle Plates and feed dogs

• Vintage Industrial Needle Plates and feed dogs

Old 11-10-2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike
    Ah OK. Thanks. Thought you had a good vintage thing happening there. Yes, I can't recall you ever changing the subject
    LOL! I would love to have some of that vintage velvet, but I don't think I'd use it to go around DH's sweaty ankles if I did.

I am VERY good at staying on topic,.. I've only veered of maybe one or two .... hundred times.

Originally Posted by miriam
    I only know from buying them I got feed dogs and a plate at the same time to be sure they matched. Years ago, the old guy I got them from spent a lot of time digging through his drawers looking for matching sets to do my canvas. My education began right there... You are right they are not all that expensive. It was amazing to me how many options you can have when you buy them. I could have gotten a set to do quilt cotton on the same machine since the big teeth would chew it up. Industrial machines are very often set up to do one task - therefore you just change out the dogs, adjust the height and plate. Chain stitch may be some industry term. It is a different realm some times. There are days when I wish I could put big tooth feed dogs on a Japanese machine.... If you look you will see that some of the cheap Japanese zzer from the 70s have big teeth compared to a ss - I don't mean side to side I mean bigger teeth. Some have kind of fine teeth. Teeth on home sewing machines are all over the map. I think it is something to test and play around with. What difference does it make when you sew with wide teeth vs narrow. Small grid looking teeth compared to deeper cut teeth? How does it feel? I think feed dogs and plates are something we take for granted. I've also worked over a few sets that were burred and no matches were easily found. I have an odd pair on a White I'm hoping work out ok. In industry you throw the starred plate away when it gets too bad. They so often interchange - by that I mean the feed dogs and plate sets can work on different machines. Not so easy with home machines. If you get into some of the Touch & Sew machines they won't go from one machine to another at all. Not even plate and feet. You have to have it exact.
    It's a lot easier to justify throwing a plate away too when you pay less than $5 for it too. Some of the domestic plates are as rare as gilt hen's teeth, so they go for way too much money. Look at the chaining plate for the 411G. If you can find it, it will be big bucks. Yes, it's a wholesale account that I have, but at no more than $7 for any plate I've found so far, and most dogs under $4, I don't feel bad about experimenting, I just don't feel like having stuff around that I simply won't use. I really think the deeper cut teeth have a lot to do with how some machines will power through anything. They just grab and pull regardless of whether you put too much under the foot or not.

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
    The 26603 feed works with the 26605T (Teflon coated) or the 26606 (small hole) plates too, to give you couple more numbers to look for.
    Thanks CD! I think those ones are missing too, but I'm considering a "grab bag" order from someone like SewingPartsOnline to round out a collection of useful parts. I think they had the 26605, or someone else did. I just have to wait on some insurance money first.

The Singer 31-15 Chain-off feet have a cutting edge on the back side of the foot, and I believe that it’s used to continue sewing after the material has exited the foot for a distance, at which point the threads can be cut by pulling the item toward the operator. I’m not sure what the “LG” means. (Maybe “Large hole, Graduated?)
    The feed that matches plate 147150 is 149057, and the matching foot is S536.
    That plate also seems to have a bevelled edge, maybe to help that foot work better for the cutting. That makes a lot more sense than what I had been thinking. I will look up that foot number in the spreadsheet, or see if I can find it somewhere else with the grab bag.

LG might be as simple as "Large" for large hole or maybe that helps them know who their supplier is, since I see listings that say medium hole with an LG beside them. *shrug*

Plate 52032 (old number 147154) uses feed 52031 or 52031R (rubberized). You have your choice of several standard hinged feet, selected by width, 24983 (7/16” regular), 19336 (1/2” wide), or 127233 (5/8” extra wide). Put a “T” behind any of those numbers for a Teflon-coated foot. The original hard feet 12141 (regular) and 12144 (even toe) should work on the same plate and feed, but I’m not sure.
    You bring up a good point here. I didn't even consider the feet. Since what I'm doing is "regular" sewing, I figured what was there was likely fine... but I'd better figure out what's there and what I will need.

I don’t know what the number is for a roller foot that matches plate 12482 and feed 12481 (old number 149481). Maybe it's an aftermarket foot. I use the small roller foot (7/8”) 12264 with plate 5709 and feed 5708 on my Singer 31-15 treadle.
    I saw a bunch of listings on the 331K parts list and that's where some of my part numbers came from, but I can't recall if I found one for the 31-15. It showed a bunch of the original roller feet numbers, but none of them looked like they were available new still. I'll check out the 12264 number when the pdf of the spreadsheet arrives on my tablet in a few minutes.

Originally Posted by SteveH
    THIS is why I collect OLD machines... wow....(head spinning)
    I know right? I was going crazy trying to figure out even a portion of what Cd's figured out. The info seems harder to find than with a lot of the domestic machines too, at least the domestic Singers.

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
    Yea....mine too. If anyone sees an error in my information, let me know, please. I’m not sure that I have even that little bit of the combinations all straight yet.

Singer made a bunch of different feed combinations for the Singer 31-15 and models similar to them. In many cases, feed combinations are interchangeable between models 31, 44, 95, 96, 195K, 196K, 241, 245, 251, 281, 331K, 366K, 400W, 451K, 491, 600W, 1300, and Centurion 121D Class.

It almost seems like Singer kept making new feed combinations (foot, plate, feed dog) for the earlier machines, especially the 31, 44, 95, and 96 class machines, to take on new sewing tasks with old machines. There are feed combinations for regular work, medium heavy work, heavy duty work, auto upholstery & seat covers, shirt work, regular duty chain-off, heavy duty chain-off, light to medium chain-off, fine work & permanent press, special long stitches, collar & back binding work, binder work, feeds for edge cutter work, darning work, and plastic-coated work to name a few. And there were multiple combinations for most of those feed types, sometimes by simply substituting a different foot, and the number more than doubles when you throw in the Teflon-coated plates and rubberized feed dogs. Then later, machines were developed for more specific tasks that had totally different feed systems, but apparently, the demand was still there for new machines to replace the old worn-out ones, so they kept adding new models that took the old feeds. I don’t know this for a fact, but it sure looks like it to me.

CD in Oklahoma
    At this point, I'd have little idea if you were wrong about any of that! The couple that I've seen for sure seem to jive with the link I posted though. What are your sources?

Part of what I loved about the 31-15 is the ability to outfit it to do almost anything. Will I use it for "anything",.. heck if I know at this point. I never thought I'd be helping DH make ankle weights.
    Old 11-10-2014, 10:32 PM

Ok, the feet I have are a gauge presser foot 35134 and 20458 which this pdf says is presser foot for 44136 which is a feed dog which appears to match an alteration plate. This is in keeping with what I was told about the owner of the machine back in March. I assume they're compatible with the 26605 plate because it's the only plate the machine came with. Of course, its also broken,... So maybe that's not a good assumption.

Both feet are fixed feet, so I'll look for a hinged one. The supplier suggested 152 high shank roller foot, I ordered it at the same time as I ordered the original plate. I'll try it when I get down there this week.
    Old 11-11-2014, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    Some of the domestic plates are as rare as gilt hen's teeth, so they go for way too much money. Look at the chaining plate for the 411G. If you can find it, it will be big bucks.
    I noticed. My 411G came sans this plate and I looked a few times for one. Love to be able to chainstitch on this machine. Could of course just buy a 600 series but no.... more.... machines... particularly post 1960s. I've been travelling back in time to when Steve lives.
    Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM

Let me look in the basement. I have 2/3 of one of the chaining sets for a 411G, I think it's the other 2 pieces, not the plate, but if I have the plate I'll PM you and let you know.

I've been traveling backward too. The last 2 on my list are a 12 and a German 1/2 sized machine with that big Ferris wheel... that one makes my little heart go pitter pat.
    Old 11-12-2014, 03:23 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by manicmike
    Could of course just buy a 600 series but no.
    Yesterday Monopas came over to play. I gave her a 600E, and while we were playing in a box of my sm parts, she found all 3 pieces of hopefully the right chain stitch parts for it. She gave me some good stuff too.

Cari
    Old 11-12-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    Yesterday Monopas came over to play. I gave her a 600E, and while we were playing in a box of my sm parts, she found all 3 pieces of hopefully the right chain stitch parts for it. She gave me some good stuff too.

Cari
    They are indeed the right chainstitch parts! But the machine is going to have to wait until I'm done with a few other things. I'm strangely excited about the other plate you gave me. Because now I could use either my 403 or 603 to monogram, if the mood takes me.
    Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by monopas
    They are indeed the right chainstitch parts! But the machine is going to have to wait until I'm done with a few other things. I'm strangely excited about the other plate you gave me. Because now I could use either my 403 or 603 to monogram, if the mood takes me.
    How do you make the 403 do chain stitch?
    Old 11-13-2014, 10:33 AM
    Banned

She was talking about doing monogramming with her 403. She needed a feed dog cover for her monogrammer and I gave her one.

Cari
    Old 11-13-2014, 10:55 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    She was talking about doing monogramming with her 403. She needed a feed dog cover for her monogrammer and I gave her one.

Cari
    I'm a little slow some times.
    Old 11-13-2014, 11:08 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by miriam
    I'm a little slow some times.
    I am most of the time. My CRS is getting worse as I get older.

Cari