Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • vintage machine I bought for Sis now I need your help pics >
  • vintage machine I bought for Sis now I need your help pics

• vintage machine I bought for Sis now I need your help pics

Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Probably going to just need a lot of oil, and a lot of manipulation. I've had some stiff bobbin winders that exhibited the new oil in, black crud out syndrome. I just had to keep turning them and flushing them with new oil.
    Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Thank you for the encouragement. I will keep putting in oil, let it sit then work it some more.
    Old 09-21-2013, 04:54 PM
    Power Poster

A lot of times what needs oil is the thingies in the top by the big round hole. Take that cover off and shine a good light in there. Oil. Move the machine and oil some more. Oil. Move the machine and oil some more. It is the deep internal parts that you are probably missing some little tiny thing that slides inside another. Anywhere there is friction needs oil. If it still doesn't move well you can apply heat from a hair dryer. Usually the oil will free things up if you have enough patience. Warning: never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM

Wow, I never thought to try hairdryer. Thanks for the tip. I did take the top off and oiled everthing that moved ever hole I could find and I think you are right Miriam about the big hole on top and all the thingies because when I oil them it moves some better than tightens back up. Tomorrow I will try the hair dryer BUT Question how close should I place it and should I be putting directly at the oil ports? ( no I do not know any of the correct terms LOL) or around the moving parts? Thank you so very much. I would really like to get it to sew so it will be more special to give to my sister knowing I got it working ( sounds kind of dumb but oh well )
    Old 09-21-2013, 05:10 PM
    Power Poster

Are you turning it as you oil?
    Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 PM

Yes, I have done both oiled and let it sit then oiled as I turn the hand wheel. Is this a bad thing?
    Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM

Personally, I would use a penetrating oil like liquid wrench. It loosens rust and cleans, and flows in areas where oil cannot. Its mostly kerosine. At this point I would continue using the hand wheel. Just spray liberally, turn spray again, and let it sit for at least 30 minutes then repeat. after that I would oil the machine.

I would also put down some newspaper just in case the oil or liquid wrench flows too much and stains anything.

Hope that helps.
    Old 09-21-2013, 06:51 PM

Turning while oiling not a bad thing. Just becaredul about how much force you use. Some times things bend and thats not good. Lol It sounds like youre on the right track! Keep on oiling!
    Old 09-22-2013, 02:16 AM
    Power Poster

Some times a machine takes time - some times it take you finding the right spot. I had a Singer 401 take me days to get the right spot. It was the feed dogs - don't ask me what spot though. I don't think I have had any other get stuck there. Usually it is in the great internals or an over oiled gear with the over oiled stuff dried up like concrete. The machine just didn't want to move. When it did move it moved like it was a certain 3 year old I know swiping something out of the fridge.

The funny thing with Tri-Flow is that it will free up all of a sudden. I do not like the Liquid Wrench or any spray on stuff. IMHO it could do more damage than it helps and it is hard to control. But if it is a machine you don't have to worry about looking nice - go for it. If it is Grandma's machine just use the Tri-Flow and wait. You can use a little heat on the big joints and then try to move them. Some times you can try to rock things a bit while you heat. Force won't fix it. Heat the area where you feel like it might be stuck. Or you can heat the nose area, the bobbin area and underneath then heat the area close to the hand wheel - the deep internal stuff if you can get heat aimed in there. Just gently move things. My DGD was over and we had a stuck up dirty old Singer 99 or a Spartan I can't remember. She cleaned most of the lint out and we oiled. Then she saw a thread stuck in the bobbin area. She got that out and I told her to see if the machine would move. It did - very suddenly. She was so surprised that she gave the machine a hug. She is 6 years old but she had just enough force to move that machine.
    Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Hello Miriam. When did you change your picture from the cute little GD hugging the machine?