Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Nancy, little Willy's cabinet is just beautiful. You guys did a wonderful job on it.
    Old 04-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Wow, Nancy ~ that does NOT look like the same cabinet! I'll bet WIlly is very happy!!! I'm keeping my eyes open for the right "Willy" for me...
    Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Originally Posted by hootnannie
    From a cocoon to a butterfly ... what a beauty!!
    Hootnannie, isn't his cabinet beautiful! I can't imagine why they ever painted it black, except the original owner's daughter said her dad painted everything black!

Glenn where are you? You have to see this! I am so proud of my husband -- he's the one that did this!

Nancy
    Nancy, your husband did a wonderful job on the cabinet. Please tell him he did great. Black paint is one of the hardest to strip with and undercoat of white. I am impressed. Glenn
    Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
    From a cocoon to a butterfly ... what a beauty!!
    Hootnannie, isn't his cabinet beautiful! I can't imagine why they ever painted it black, except the original owner's daughter said her dad painted everything black!

Glenn where are you? You have to see this! I am so proud of my husband -- he's the one that did this!

Nancy
    Nancy, your husband did a wonderful job on the cabinet. Please tell him he did great. Black paint is one of the hardest to strip with and undercoat of white. I am impressed. Glenn
    Old 04-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Sorry for the double post I just go excited for the wonderful job your husband did on the cabinet. What did he use for the top coat, shellac? Glenn
    Old 04-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Remember this cabinet, it came black and looking like crap? We used a bunch of cans of stripper to get all three coats of black paint off -- and it had a coat of primer, DH did some sand blasting of the treadle irons, lots of elbow grease (mostly my DH's since he decided I was too slow at it), a little staining and finishing and look what my late 1800's Wilcox and Gibbs gets back! His original cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!Yippppeeeeeeeee!

Nancy
    Nancy that is beatiful. Enjoy. Kathie
    Old 04-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Remember this cabinet, it came black and looking like crap? We used a bunch of cans of stripper to get all three coats of black paint off -- and it had a coat of primer, DH did some sand blasting of the treadle irons, lots of elbow grease (mostly my DH's since he decided I was too slow at it), a little staining and finishing and look what my late 1800's Wilcox and Gibbs gets back! His original cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!Yippppeeeeeeeee!

Nancy
    Nancy, you and your hub did a gorgeous job. Enjoy it.
    Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
    Bily,
    Can you help me? I need singer motor lubicant in tube for my old singer 301's. Hubby wants to get this done before I use the machines much. Can you tell me where to get this? thanks
    You might be able to get it at Wal-mart or Joanns.
    Old 04-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Bily,
    Can you help me? I need singer motor lubicant in tube for my old singer 301's. Hubby wants to get this done before I use the machines much. Can you tell me where to get this? thanks
    You might be able to get it at Wal-mart or Joanns.
    Yep, Wal Mart and JoAnnes both carry the Singer Lubricant as do most sewing repair shops and fabric shops -- blue and yellow tube!

Thank you all for the compliments on Willy's restored cabinet. My DH has been in the garage around the clock for the last three weeks. He really got into this as he thinks little Willy is really cute. I am just blown away at how nice the cabinet looks now. When I started the stripping of all those layers of black paint then white primer, I wondered if it would ever look good again! Just goes to show you what determination can accomplish. I love that cabinet now!

Glenn we did your tutorial, except the stain is red oak.

Nancy
    Old 04-03-2011, 03:29 PM

Bily,
    joannes sells it, found this out after i ordered it on line, silly me. beautiful cabinet. there has been some beautiful machines on here, keep em coming, i sure enjoy looking.