Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Whoops, I need to learn vintage terminology. The Leader takes top clamping feet, not back clamping.
    Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    SOS~~Singer 301A owners... what am I doing wrong?

I put my needle in (correct size, etc.) with the flat side to the left and screwed the screw as tight as I can. The needle falls out when I stitch and I can also pull the needle out with my bare fingers.

I will have to go back and read the directions but I am pretty sure it says, 'flat side facing left'. Yikes. I sew wanted to sew tonight. :shock: :?: :roll:
    DH to my rescue!

We just happen to have purchased a second 301A a few weeks after the first one. And, lo and behold, DH figured out that my 1st one didn't have the correct screw to hold the needle in place... tightly, I might add.

The sad thing is that the person I purchased it from said she had sewn a lot of items on this machine. NOT, couldn't have. When I sewed with it, I only got to 4 stitches before the needle fell out. Sew, temporarily I am borrowing from my 2nd 301A to help out my 1st one.

The moral to this story is to buy two machines, in case you need something. So, all of you who 'need' a reason to buy more machines that need rescuing... now you have it!

:-D

Isn't it amazing how many people claim these machines are in perfect working order and then you get them home and have quite the puzzle on your hands???? I know there must be some sort of lie detector invented that we can bring to these meetings!!
    Old 07-26-2011, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by jljack

There's a set of irons for sale up here... In southern Washington!

http://kpr.craigslist.org/fuo/2504479015.html
    Thanks, Linda, but you'll see they aren't complete.
    No, Janice, I didn't notice that. I was just focusing on you driving up to Washington! :lol: :lol:
    Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    SOS~~Singer 301A owners... what am I doing wrong?

I put my needle in (correct size, etc.) with the flat side to the left and screwed the screw as tight as I can. The needle falls out when I stitch and I can also pull the needle out with my bare fingers.

I will have to go back and read the directions but I am pretty sure it says, 'flat side facing left'. Yikes. I sew wanted to sew tonight. :shock: :?: :roll:
    DH to my rescue!

We just happen to have purchased a second 301A a few weeks after the first one. And, lo and behold, DH figured out that my 1st one didn't have the correct screw to hold the needle in place... tightly, I might add.

The sad thing is that the person I purchased it from said she had sewn a lot of items on this machine. NOT, couldn't have. When I sewed with it, I only got to 4 stitches before the needle fell out. Sew, temporarily I am borrowing from my 2nd 301A to help out my 1st one.

The moral to this story is to buy two machines, in case you need something. So, all of you who 'need' a reason to buy more machines that need rescuing... now you have it!

:-D

Isn't it amazing how many people claim these machines are in perfect working order and then you get them home and have quite the puzzle on your hands???? I know there must be some sort of lie detector invented that we can bring to these meetings!!
    You are right... however, all in all, I got one terrific machine. I sewed on my 301A last night for about an hour for my very first time and I am definitely in LOVE with her!!!

It turned out that the correct screw narrowed toward the screw tip of it allowing it to go through a slot inside that area (clear as mud, huh), thereby, holding the needle in place.

The other screw simply wasn't shaped correctly on the end of it, nor was it long enough to actually touch up against the needle. It also could not slip through that inside slot. It looks like it is a screw for the top bed of the machine in order to hold down a seam guide or something similar. :-D :-D
    Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 AM

[quote=jljack]
    Originally Posted by quilt addict
    Originally Posted by jljack
    I agree, prices lately have been way too high for stuff I see on Craig's list. I get better prices at garage sales but it takes more work as you have to drive around. Keep looking, one will fall in your lap! If you are ever in San Diego would love to meet you in person. I'll show you all the thrift stores....and there are alot of them.
    Deal!!! :-) My DH and his brother still own their parent's house, and it is rented out. We go down a couple of times a year just to check and make sure that the property manager is watching it well. I'll let you know when we are going down next!! :-)
    Janice, I will PM you my information! Look forward to having a buddy to go with. My friends think I've lost it. :lol:
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 AM

Janice,

What type of irons are you looking for. I have a set from White that I got from a junkers yard with the head. The cabinet was totally gone. I have not looked at them that close but can pull them out and see and take some pictures for you.

Lisa

Rescued White and irons
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]231856[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-231850.jpe  
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
    Ok, I am happy. After work I finally got a call from a lady selling treadle machine in a parlor cabinet. I made my son take me and his pickup truck to get it. The top is missing a few pieces of veneer and there is a small decorative piece of wood missing in front. Fortunately I am friends with a wood worker who can duplicate the missing piece. The machine is a Damascus Grand. Know nothing about it but, I love it! The machine was purchased new by the seller's husband's great grandmother and has been in the family ever since. The man said he used to sew with it when he was a kid. No one in the family wanted it any more, so it came home with me. Will post pics when I can.
    These are the pics from the CL ad. Not the best, but will suffice for now. For $35.00 I think I did good.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-231853.jpe   attachment-231854.jpe   attachment-231855.jpe  
    Old 07-26-2011, 04:36 AM

Wow...nice!
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:26 AM
    Power Poster

for $35 you did great!
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:31 AM

dirty1mom, you found a great deal! I saw one of those recently, and the person is asking $350... :-( I just could not justify that, even if it had been in perfect condition.