Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 PM

What did you want to know, Gerbie?

The Singer 127 was probably the most popular treadle of that era. They were in production a long time and there are many of them around. It's a good machine, a straight-stitch machine and you can use attachments. It's low shank and many modern low-shank feet will work on it - plus the more vintage attachments - to zig zag and do other things.

I have a 1906, which is a true antique, being 100 years old or more. It had not worked for 40 years when I got it, but I restored it and now it works beautifully. It's a simple machine, easy to use. It's not in mint condition, whereas some of my vintage or antique machines are. But that means I can easily use it without being concerned about pin scratches.

You can use Schmetz 130/75 needles on it, aka15x1 needles. Or you can use Singer needles. Parts are easily available. There are many donor machines.

I'm not crazy about the long bobbin, myself. That's all I don't like, however. One can piece, sew, even quilt on this. If you have a Stoppax attachment (watch e-bay) you can even free-motion quilt on it.

I hope I answered the question.

Cricket
    Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 PM

Thanks, I really didn't ask the question did I? lol, I just wanted some additonal information on it. Glad to know what info you gave, Thanks bunches. Gerbie
    Old 06-12-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute
    What did you want to know, Gerbie?

The Singer 127 was probably the most popular treadle of that era. They were in production a long time and there are many of them around. It's a good machine, a straight-stitch machine and you can use attachments. It's low shank and many modern low-shank feet will work on it - plus the more vintage attachments - to zig zag and do other things.

I have a 1906, which is a true antique, being 100 years old or more. It had not worked for 40 years when I got it, but I restored it and now it works beautifully. It's a simple machine, easy to use. It's not in mint condition, whereas some of my vintage or antique machines are. But that means I can easily use it without being concerned about pin scratches.

You can use Schmetz 130/75 needles on it, aka15x1 needles. Or you can use Singer needles. Parts are easily available. There are many donor machines.

I'm not crazy about the long bobbin, myself. That's all I don't like, however. One can piece, sew, even quilt on this. If you have a Stoppax attachment (watch e-bay) you can even free-motion quilt on it.

I hope I answered the question.

Cricket
    Thank you Cricket for the information. I am just starting to restore my 127 and have a couple more questions.

It appears that there are several types of bobbins and shuttles online but I am unsure which ones work on the 127? I think I might need to a shuttle carrier too. There is a shuttle carrier posted on ebay for a 128 but I am not sure it will work on the 127:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I really will appreciate any advice you may offer.
    Kit
    Old 06-12-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    quilt addict wrote:
    I wonder what this monster is used for? I'm sure its a bargain at $25 because I know anchors run more then that.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...778881908.html

quilt addict,
    What was the machine in the Craig's listing? I looked and it was
    already deleted.
    Sharon W.
    Sharon, I have no idea what the machine was. It was a some kind of Singer industrial. But it was a big machine and I just couldn't believe they had it listed for $25.
    Old 06-12-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    quilt addict wrote:
    I wonder what this monster is used for? I'm sure its a bargain at $25 because I know anchors run more then that.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...778881908.html

quilt addict,
    What was the machine in the Craig's listing? I looked and it was
    already deleted.
    Sharon W.
    It was a big ol' Singer Industrial treadle.... :)
    Old 06-12-2010, 06:04 AM

We are making the journey tomorrow to pick up the Eldridge. I can hardly wait to bring her home. :D
    Old 06-12-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    We are making the journey tomorrow to pick up the Eldridge. I can hardly wait to bring her home. :D
    Yeah......... Doing the happy dance with you Linda.
    Safe travel friend.
    Blessings to you,
    Sandi
    Old 06-12-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Deara
    Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Yeah......... Doing the happy dance with you Linda.
    Safe travel friend.
    Blessings to you,
    Sandi
    Thanks Sandi. After this machine I am going to quit looking for a month or so. My head is a spinnin' too much. Besides, I have a lot of cleaning to do. ;-) ;-) ;-)
    Old 06-12-2010, 07:28 AM

First I want to Thank everyone on here for the wealth of info you all have shared and added to this fabulous topic. And a HUGE Thank You Billy for starting this.

I have been admiring Featherweights for some time and got the bug badly to own one. So to sum it up shortly, got caught up on a bidding frenzy on Ebay & I now have 3, 1953 Featherweight 221's. 2 will be put up for my twin grandgirlies someday.

I've been cleaning on them and they look great. Problem is 2 of the cases! Oh my gosh...they do stink! One is so bad it immediately had to go out on the covered patio. How the heck do you get that awful smell out of these????? In the worst one, I have a dozen fabric softener sheets lying loose in it and 2 cups of fresh ground coffee grounds poured over them. Closed that puppy up & after 36 hrs it has helped but not near enough! Whew there has to be some way or something to use to get that stench out. Please advise me.

Thanks
    Gram
    Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 AM

HI Gram,

Welcome, nice to have you join us. We are a little bit crazy with the bug of acquiring vintage machines. But, I am sure you already picked up on that.

I bought a FW and its case also stunk. I need to go look up the info and I will be right back. ;-)

Back again. These are the 2 suggestions posted in this cafe. Sorry, can't remember their names but this is what they suggested...

"Oh, for the moldy smelling case. Wipe out the case with equal parts of bleach and water and set in out in direct sun on a very hot day. Do this 3 times and then spray it with a antibacterial spray. It is the mold spores that make it smell! Thanks to all of you for encouraging me to take this class. It was definitely worth it!"

"Let me share with you what I did with my stinky case and it worked. Took out everything and washed the entire with straight bleach wiping it down right after with a wet rag. I sprayed the shelf and the entire inside well took rags and rinsed her and set her out in the sun all day. I took the books wrapped them in a fabric softner sheet and put them in a plastic bag. Today NO SMELL on anything. I also took shoe polish and the case cleaned up very well."

Hope this helps you. Gram, hope you will be posting photos of your FWs. We love photos and the more you have, the better.
    :thumbup: