• For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-17-2011, 06:22 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarieM
    Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    I saw at a local thrift store a Necchi Alco sewing machine. It looked a little lonely, but I wanted to get some input on the machine before considering buying it. The machine seemed clean, the cabinet was in so-so condition. Usually at this particular store, they test appliances before putting them on the floor, so I think it runs. No plate to cover the bobbin area. No bobbin. No manual. It does have the cord & pedal. There is some kind of double plug-in on the pedal cord. Anyone know why that might be? (Sorry, no pictures.)
    Quilt Mom, I have a Necchi Alco 400 that I picked up at a local consignment shop. I love the power it has. After sewing on my 4 year old machine and then on the Necchi I couldn't believe how smooth the Necchi runs (like driving a luxury car). I haven't found any instructions and Allyn Distributors were no help (apparently, no one kept any information on the old machines). I did find a local Necchi repair shop in Belgrade, MT and they had the bobbins and I also purchased a new plastic case for it (mine did not come in a cabinet). As for the plugs, I'm not sure why it is designed the way it is, but it works and I guess if you electrical issues you can repair one section of wiring and not have to do the entire thing...but that's just an assumption.

I love this machine for piecing. I've also used it for repairing a canvas boat cover, a tent and hemming blue jeans, it worked great. I'll be interested to see what responses you find. I've also joined a Necchi group on Yahoo, but didn't find much help with the "newer" Japan made Necchi.
    If you can't get the throat plate you'll have a tough time using that machine. I searched images and found manuals. I had a couple old Necchi machines - I liked one and hated the other - don't know what models they were - DD swiped one and took it to one of her friends needed a machine - don't know what I did with the other - it ain't around. We hated the one because we couldn't see the needle without straining our necks - the needle set too far back.

Is it like: http://cgi.ebay.com/Necchi-Alco-Sewi...item2a131ca03d
    That one is high shank feet
    Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 PM

We're home! :)

And yes. I came home with a "new" machine! :lol: Will post pics of it in a minute when I get them resized!

Looks like I have lots to catch up on!
    Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 PM

My newest baby!! The copyright on the manual is 1953.

Not sure yet what I'll name her...a Singer Model 20 toy...box is in great condition for it's age!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]243350[/ATTACH]

A Safeway needlebook, A Darner and a Buttonholer which are the same EXACT things right down to the instructions!, Attachments are just standard short shank, and the sewing awl I intend to use for leatherwork.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]243351[/ATTACH]

For my Wheeler & Wilson!! Some of these I had, some I didn't...that booklet that's in such bad shape is instruction for the attachments
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]243353[/ATTACH]

Over 100 years old...guess it's entitled to be tattered!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]243354[/ATTACH]

this is a rather LARGE tablecloth that I found at a thrift store, it and the 4 doilies in the next photo came home with me for $5.00!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]243355[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-243344.jpe   attachment-243345.jpe   attachment-243347.jpe   attachment-243348.jpe   attachment-243349.jpe  

attachment-243350.jpe  
    Old 08-17-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    My newest baby!! The copyright on the manual is 1953.
    Hi Charlee, Looks like a successful shopping trip! Welcome back!
    Old 08-17-2011, 08:01 PM

Thanks Nicky! We had a GREAT time, and the weather was beautiful for a change! :) Didn't want to come home!
    Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by miriam
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/for/2549610875.html anybody want a bunch of machines??? Looks like a school
    11 machines for $500 hell I a on it!!

Billy
    Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 PM
    Banned

lee231 those are some really nice machines!!! I think you had a successful day of shopping for sure!

Charlee I love the Singer toy machine talk about a nice complete machine with box.... :shock: And the feet with the instructions was a hell of a score also. And even though I am not the doily type of guy that was a great deal on them and the table cloth looks great.

Billy
    Old 08-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    lee231 those are some really nice machines!!! I think you had a successful day of shopping for sure!

Charlee I love the Singer toy machine talk about a nice complete machine with box.... :shock: And the feet with the instructions was a hell of a score also. And even though I am not the doily type of guy that was a great deal on them and the table cloth looks great.

Billy
    Thanks Billy. I was pretty pleased with myself. Actually tho, I have to confess, William found and bought the 20... :) Said it was my birthday present, but my birthday isn't until November! :lol:
    Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM

Celeste, Did you pick up that Singer VS2?

Kathie, I will post the items one must bring to TOGA for the sewing cover project.

Miriam, I will post a tutorial on a sewing machine cover some time in the near future here on the QG.

Lisa aka quilt addict, Wish you could show too, but San Diego should be fun too!

Lee23, Both machine have beautiful decals! Have fun with them!

Grayhare, Thanks for posting the link for the stories!

Justtrish, Very nice Singer with RAF decals and nice straight-leg treadle. Enjoy!

Charlee, Sweet finds! I love the tablecloth. I have one similar, and love it since I don't have to iron it.
    Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by lee231
    DD picked this up for me a couple weeks ago, 1 of 2 - Lakeshore.
    $30
    Nice score! The circle on the front gives it away as a badged National.
    Tommie