Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Went to a small consignment sale this evening and there were 3 Singer Sphinx machines. I got one in a cabinet that needs some work, decals are pretty good, everything is free moving, shuttle and bobbin intact and in one drawer was one of the puzzle boxes full of attachments and 2 boxes of needles, not sure if they go with the machine or not but I would assume they do. My DH decided to bid (I think he enjoys working with the old girls and spiffing them up and getting them in good order) so we got it whole shabang for $26.00. Good deal for sure.
    Old 10-08-2011, 05:34 PM
    Power Poster

Weedwoman, we can find the poison ivy real good it's red now and the Virginia Creeper has turned bright red. It is both right where we were working this summer. The neighbors trees look like giant red sticks - pretty impressive.

We do not have a cash crop weed - it is a butterfly plant - looks a bit like it though. I saw them selling at the store for $5 each - I have a small fortune. The humming birds, bees and butterflies love it.
    Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 PM

What can I use on the exterior of a Featherweight case to clean it up? I have tried a damp wash rag to no avail. Can I use saddle soap? I have a dual colored green and cream case so the black shoe polish trick isn't going to work on that one. It has dirt, grime, smudges, and probably tobacco residue on it (yellow brown color). I searched the board and couldn't find anything relating to this specifically. Ann in TN
    Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Charlee, I like that.

miriam, nothing has me stuck. I'm just being realistic. I am not able to nor do I want to do the work this machine needs.

grayhare, the little rust bucket is on page 1576.
    Old 10-08-2011, 06:18 PM

I went to an auction today. They advertised a treadle machine.
    When I arrived, no treadle, but they did have a Domestic Rotary in cabinet with the foot pedal, bobbin, bobbin cover. No attachements. Cabinet is in very good condition, just needs cleaned up. I think it needs rewired and a new cord.
    I was't going to bid on it, but no one else did and she needed a good home...so, I paid $15.00 bucks for it and brought it home.
    Hope she works ok. I will take pics tom. in the daylight.
    Old 10-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Charlee, I like that.

miriam, nothing has me stuck. I'm just being realistic. I am not able to nor do I want to do the work this machine needs.

I sure wish she was in Texas, she could have a home here.

Texas Jan
    Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Charlee, I like that.

boy, if I lived a little closer I'd come get ole Grayhare off your hands. I really like the 'unique' machines; DH does as well
    Old 10-08-2011, 07:01 PM

bloomin'Iris, grayhare is the person I was answering. Little Rustbucket has no name. I name my machines when I clean them. She does want to sew. Irons are very easy to operate and the needlebar goes up and down.

How far down in Indiana are you? I will be going to Grand Rapids one of these days.
    Old 10-08-2011, 07:02 PM

ncredbird, I would try some Oxyclean dissolved in hot water and cooled a bit. Use a soft cloth, I would think that might help. Just don't get it really soaked.
    Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    Went to a small consignment sale this evening and there were 3 Singer Sphinx machines. I got one in a cabinet that needs some work, decals are pretty good, everything is free moving, shuttle and bobbin intact and in one drawer was one of the puzzle boxes full of attachments and 2 boxes of needles, not sure if they go with the machine or not but I would assume they do. My DH decided to bid (I think he enjoys working with the old girls and spiffing them up and getting them in good order) so we got it whole shabang for $26.00. Good deal for sure.
    Well we want to see before/after pics.