Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-25-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Candace

Ok I just watched a very handsome, young, thin man with a mustache and a big smile threadle his Singer 319! WOW! I want one - I am now on the hunt for a 319! Glenn, you are right the 'clip' you sent me is very short, but WOW it looks like so much fun to treadle a machine that does decorative stitches! What year is your 319? That machine sounds so smooth running!

Thank you!

Nancy

Nancy...I have one I can probably part with if you're serious. You can PM me...I live in Elk Grove.
    Candace, I will PM you!

Nancy
    Old 10-25-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    Originally Posted by Charlee
    Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    Needle turn is where you turn the raw edge of the applique piece under itself and stitch it to the background fabric by hand. No stitching shows on top at all.

Texas Jan
    That is unless I am the one doing the handsewing!! I have 'CHSS' LOL
    LMAO!!! That one took me a few seconds to figure out! ;)
    Guess I am "dense". I don't get it???

Texas Jan
    Can't Hand Sew (uh...) STUFF!! ;)
    That would be it :thumbup:
    Old 10-25-2011, 06:21 PM

I am trying to clean this 96 year old white rotary. Kerosene will not touch the grime [I soaked it 36 hours]. I swear it must have set in a coal mine for years. The black crud will only come off if I use my thumb nail on it. My nail will not last long enough to clean all of it. What else can I use? I tried using a dowel stick. It is really bad, like it was oiled then baked on with grime then lacquered. A screwdriver blade works but I don’t want to scratch it up. All the chrome at some point is coated.
    Thanks for your help.
    Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
    I am trying to clean this 96 year old white rotary. Kerosene will not touch the grime [I soaked it 36 hours]. I swear it must have set in a coal mine for years. The black crud will only come off if I use my thumb nail on it. My nail will not last long enough to clean all of it. What else can I use? I tried using a dowel stick. It is really bad, like it was oiled then baked on with grime then lacquered. A screwdriver blade works but I don’t want to scratch it up. All the chrome at some point is coated.
    Thanks for your help.
    Phyllis, try the non-pumice Goop or Gojo... it's been known to silver or remove decals, but I wouldn't think that could hurt it anymore than taking a screwdriver to it! :lol: The Goop or Gojo are what Billy recommends, and he's used it successfully...
    Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Originally Posted by Glenn

Ok I just watched a very handsome, young, thin man with a mustache and a big smile threadle his Singer 319! WOW! I want one - I am now on the hunt for a 319! Glenn, you are right the 'clip' you sent me is very short, but WOW it looks like so much fun to treadle a machine that does decorative stitches! What year is your 319? That machine sounds so smooth running!

Thank you!

Nancy

I had to pull out my medicare card to make sure you were watching the right clip :lol: I think if I remember correctly I dated it to 1964. I don't have all the flat cams for it yet but have not really looked for them. With the one I have and the keys I can do many stitches. It is a great machine to sew with.
    Glenn, YOU don't look old at all!

Can you recheck the date on your 319? I just did some research and they were suppose to be made only from 55 to 57 because they were too technical for the modern lady with all their buttons and whistles!

Nancy
    Ok went back to my papers of research on the 319W and it was 1956 sorry the 64 date was another machine.
    glenn
    Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Here are the best photos I can get of the machine I bought. Any idea of what it is? I would really like a manual. Also, anyone know a good repair person in the Ft. Myer, Fl area who works on vintage machines?
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-277082.jpe   attachment-277083.jpe   attachment-277084.jpe   attachment-277085.jpe  
    Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 PM

I tried that also.
    Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 PM
    Google Goddess

link to date your old sewing machines that another member posted for all of us

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-163221-1.htm
    Old 10-25-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
    Here are the best photos I can get of the machine I bought. Any idea of what it is? I would really like a manual. Also, anyone know a good repair person in the Ft. Myer, Fl area who works on vintage machines?
    Look like a cute 15 clone to me. I cannot place the website but there is a free online manual to it. At http://www.ismacs.net/free-sewing-ma...uals-list.html you can download the singer 15 manual which will be helpful.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ion-manual.pdf is the one you want to download I think.
    Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 PM

Iunique... nice looking Japanese clone 15. LOVE the face plate. Handsome!

I think the free manual for the clones was off the sew-classic website? Try there first, if you don't find it... send me a message and I'll send you the .pdf.

So nice to be 'back'.... but oh my word, have I got a lot to catch up on!