Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare
    Found this listing on CL http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2692010865.html
    Artistic Sewing Cabinet??
    I don' think so!!!! It would take much work for it to be brought back to the orginal.
    Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM

Chris, the clones are confusing. If I hadn't sewn on a 1950s White in the 1950s, I might not see that pretty one as a White. I have a Admiral made in Japan that has to be a Necchi clone. Funny thing is, it has a better motor than my Necchi, but side by side, they are very similar.
    Old 11-09-2011, 12:08 PM

WOOHOO! The spousal unit finally rewired my 99 for me, and she sews beautifully! It's the only machine I had a plate for to use the picot hemstitcher, and now he's playing with it trying to get the hemstitcher to work properly.
    Old 11-09-2011, 01:55 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
    WOOHOO! The spousal unit finally rewired my 99 for me, and she sews beautifully! It's the only machine I had a plate for to use the picot hemstitcher, and now he's playing with it trying to get the hemstitcher to work properly.
    Did you name that little bugger yet? I love my little Spartan. I have a Singer 99 that needs the part the hand wheel fits on. I'm on the prowl for a really junk machine to harvest a part off... I wish the Spartan had a light. I dug around and found a cover plate for the dogs. I have all kinds of accessories for it. It is a fantastic little machine. Poor woman's FW??? Suggest SU use a bit of Triflow on that hemstitcher.
    Old 11-09-2011, 02:13 PM

After breaking an entire package of needles trying to get the hemstitcher to work, we gave up for today.

Name...hmmmmm....I suppose it IS time to actually name her with a name that will stick...will have to think about it. She's a fast little hummer...quiet...nice stitches...no reverse (1924 model)....
    Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Chris, the clones are confusing. If I hadn't sewn on a 1950s White in the 1950s, I might not see that pretty one as a White. I have a Admiral made in Japan that has to be a Necchi clone. Funny thing is, it has a better motor than my Necchi, but side by side, they are very similar.
    Thanks again for your help. I had no idea that White clones even existed or even Necchi ones for that matter. I just know she sews beautifully as does the other one. That 2nd one doesn't even hiccup when hitting jean hems which is what I love about her. Again, many thanks for your help.
    Old 11-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
    OK, I'm not sure how to use the board now - so can anyone tell me how Billy is or if he has a blog - how do I get to it? I haven't seen him post in several days.
    Billy is listed under the Vintage sewing machine group and has his own listing lostn61 Thenbegining of it all is here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/persona...51-t28727.html

I'm sure he's waiting to hear from more of you. I hope this helps!
    Janis
    Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    Just what is a 'picot hemstitcher'? What does it look like? I've never heard of one before? Pictures??
    Janis
    I just 'googled' it and it is so neat!!! I want one, but can't afford the $99.00 for the set with the throat plate. Anyone know of one a lot cheaper?

Last edited by Janis; 11-09-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 PM

There is a Singer 500 and a Necci for sale near me for $45 each if anyone is interested. Kathie S.
    Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jan on 446
    I am going to look at a Singer 66 tomorrow. I am not familiar with this machine and neither is the seller. She is asking $25 for it.
    Questions I have:
    Is this only a treadle machine? I think she told me it was in a case, but she doesn't know anything about machines so a case could be a treadle!
    What # bobbins does it take?
    I downloaded a manual for it but didn't find anything about the bobbins. It looks like a round bobbin.
    Is it only forward and reverse?
    How are the stitches? Is it a good machine for most types of fabric like denim?
    Thanks for any information!
    Jan on 446
    I have a 1910 Singer 66 red eye. One of my favorite treadle machines to sew with.