Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM

While reading a different thread here in QB, I discovered that my Standard can be set up to do chain stitching.
    So, I googled Standard sewing machine and chain stitching. Found that the gadget needed to produce a chain stitch is called a spider. Also, found an image of the spider, along with manual to purchase. So, I look in my draw that has the attachments...yup I got it. But I'm cheap, won't purchase a manual. So, I look at the gadget and figure out how it slips into the rotary, bobbin area. Slowly turn the wheel...to discover that it works!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]295193[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]295194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]295195[/ATTACH]
    If anyone comes across a Standard, buy it. Sweet machines!
    Attached Thumbnails img_4015.jpg   img_4021.jpg   img_4017.jpg  
    Old 12-12-2011, 07:08 PM

well that is totally cool! Does anyone know if Singer had a similar gadget for their machines?

Joann
    Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JMCDA
    well that is totally cool! Does anyone know if Singer had a similar gadget for their machines?

Joann
    touch and sew had something - the German 401 and 411 is suppose to
    Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    While reading a different thread here in QB, I discovered that my Standard can be set up to do chain stitching.
    So, I googled Standard sewing machine and chain stitching. Found that the gadget needed to produce a chain stitch is called a spider. Also, found an image of the spider, along with manual to purchase. So, I look in my draw that has the attachments...yup I got it. But I'm cheap, won't purchase a manual. So, I look at the gadget and figure out how it slips into the rotary, bobbin area. Slowly turn the wheel...to discover that it works!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]295193[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]295194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]295195[/ATTACH]
    Ooooh, that looks like hand embroidery - I love it!
    Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 PM

Thanks! If you find one for sale, BUY IT! They are fun machines with cool mechanics. I'm amazed at what can be done and how well they sew through layers of fabrics. I find myself wanting to share my sewing projects from this machine and other vintage machines with folks here. They, Davis VF, need to be rescued and used- along with other fantastic vintage ladies and gents.
    Well folks, I saw this on out CL:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/atq/2729752864.html, and got excited hoping it could be the one I'm looking for. I finally called since he's not responding to email. It has a long bobbin. At first he said it does have the feed dogs, but looked at it while I was talking to him and realized it doesn't.

He said he's not real technical and can't send or post any pictures. I told him I'd have to find out from my friends what else I need to ask to figure out if this is what I'm looking for. It's about 80 miles away from me, and I'd have to figure out how to get it home.

Is the fact that it has no feed dogs, a long bobbin and is a Davis make it what I'm looking for?

Thank you!

Last edited by Celeste; 12-12-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    Old 12-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Ooooh, that looks like hand embroidery - I love it!
    It does, doesn't it?
    Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste
    Well folks, I saw this on out CL:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/atq/2729752864.html, and got excited hoping it could be the one I'm looking for. I finally called since he's not responding to email. It has a long bobbin. At first he said it does have the feed dogs, but looked at it while I was talking to him and realized it doesn't.

He said he's not real technical and can't send or post any pictures. I told him I'd have to find out from my friends what else I need to ask to figure out if this is what I'm looking for. It's about 80 miles away from me, and I'd have to figure out how to get it home.

Is the fact that it has no feed dogs, a long bobbin and is a Davis make it what I'm looking for?

Thank you!
    Absolutely!! That is, if you're looking for one like we have....yes. This would be the one!
    Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 PM

Dang it Monica...now I have to have a Standard too! With a spider.

~sigh~
    Old 12-13-2011, 06:27 AM

I ordered some 20x1 needles from SewClassic only to be told they don't have them. Whaaaaaaaa Sniff, sniff.
    Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 AM

Monica, that is a very pretty chain stitch! I never heard of a spider? Leave it to you to discover something new for us all to pine over! I am with Charlee - I want a Standard now too! You know the Wilcox and Gibbs does a very pretty chain stitch too!

Nancy