Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321392[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]321391[/ATTACH]Charlee congratulations, for $18 how could he complain? What a great deal! The only problem I would have is 'where to put another one!'

Well, this is what I got today for $30. The gal that had her wanted $40, but she is missing her needle and the screw to hold the needle in! Isn't she cute! Do any of you know anything about this toy sewing machine? She was made by National Sewing Machine Company out of Belvedere, Illinois somewhere in the early 1920's. The lady that had her had been given this machine by her grandmother who got it new and used it to make doll clothes. We figured it out and it had to be made in the 1920's or a little earlier.

Nancy
    Attached Thumbnails damascustsm.jpg   damascuswithpfaff.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-20-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Charlee,
    I've seen one of those cornbread pans, but quite frankly I don't see why any would want one.
    I bake my cornbread in either a cast iron skillet or a pyrex 8"x8" dish.
    Sharon W.
    Sharon, I think they were actually sold more for a "fancy" meal...for company. I use a cast iron skillet to bake mine in...or a cast iron dutch oven if we're out camping. I have used my corn stick pans tho, just for novelty when we have company...
    Old 03-20-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]321392[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]321391[/ATTACH]Charlee congratulations, for $18 how could he complain? What a great deal! The only problem I would have is 'where to put another one!'

Well, this is what I got today for $30. The gal that had her wanted $40, but she is missing her needle and the screw to hold the needle in! Isn't she cute! Do any of you know anything about this toy sewing machine? She was made by National Sewing Machine Company out of Belvedere, Illinois somewhere in the early 1920's. The lady that had her had been given this machine by her grandmother who got it new and used it to make doll clothes. We figured it out and it had to be made in the 1920's or a little earlier.

Nancy
    Aw Nancy...that's CUTE! Am not sure I agree with the age, but I also admit that I don't know much about Damascus...I do know the Damascus "brand" was started in the 20's...it's a cute toy tho!! Does it have a lid?
    Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM

Well, this is what I got today for $30. The gal that had her wanted $40, but she is missing her needle and the screw to hold the needle in! Isn't she cute! Do any of you know anything about this toy sewing machine? She was made by National Sewing Machine Company out of Belvedere, Illinois somewhere in the early 1920's. The lady that had her had been given this machine by her grandmother who got it new and used it to make doll clothes. We figured it out and it had to be made in the 1920's or a little earlier. Nancy
    nancy, that's so cute and clean. Congratulations on the latest acquisition!
    Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    Aw Nancy...that's CUTE! Am not sure I agree with the age, but I also admit that I don't know much about Damascus...I do know the Damascus "brand" was started in the 20's...it's a cute toy tho!! Does it have a lid?
    Charlee I know nothing about the Damascus except she was made by National. I am going by what the people figured out about their grandmother and when she used this machine? Cathy might know more? I checked the Damascusannie website and she has the same TSM Damascus shown, but I could not find a date on that site either. I need a needle and it has got to be short! A 15X1 does not clear the area under the foot -- too long. There is nothing with her, no manual, nothing so I will be searching for information. I would like to at least get a needle for her! She is all metal, so she is vintage for sure! I know National was in business from 1890 to about 1953 is all, so she is somewhere in that time frame for sure!

Oh, I put her next to the Pfaff just to show the comparison! My hubby thinks I should be collecting these little guys instead of treadles!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 03-20-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 PM

Nancy,

That's a cutie. I had one years ago that was labeled American Girl, I think my sister has it now. Next time you come over bring the Damascus and I should be able find a needle screw for it.

Cathy

Charlee congratulations, for $18 how could he complain? What a great deal! The only problem I would have is 'where to put another one!'

Nancy
    Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Nancy,

As usual I'm out of town at my Mom's until Friday.
    I have the Glenda Thomas encyclopedia of toy machines and will look at it and get back to you.
    I do have needles that will work.

Cathy

Charlee I know nothing about the Damascus except she was made by National. I am going by what the people figured out about their grandmother and when she used this machine? Cathy might know more? I checked the Damascusannie website and she has the same TSM Damascus shown, but I could not find a date on that site either. I need a needle and it has got to be short! A 15X1 does not clear the area under the foot -- too long. There is nothing with her, no manual, nothing so I will be searching for information. I would like to at least get a needle for her! She is all metal, so she is vintage for sure! I know National was in business from 1890 to about 1953 is all, so she is somewhere in that time frame for sure!

Oh, I put her next to the Pfaff just to show the comparison! My hubby thinks I should be collecting these little guys instead of treadles!

Nancy
    Old 03-20-2012, 07:03 PM

Nancy[/QUOTE]

Cute machine! I like the box that this machine sets on too. Did this machine have a lid for the box? Almost looks like it should.

I also like your quilted placemats!
    Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Charlee,
    I've seen one of those cornbread pans, but quite frankly I don't see why any would want one.
    I bake my cornbread in either a cast iron skillet or a pyrex 8"x8" dish.
    Sharon W.
    That's how I bake my cornbread too.
    Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM

Nancy
    Nancy,
    I think that most toy machines take a 20x1 needle. Your new toy is in very good condition, too bad its missing the needle clamp/screw.
    I have the twin to your Pfaff 1222E, love it for piecing and quilting.
    Sharon W.