Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by wuv2quilt
    Are you serious????? I'd sew with my hair a mess and in the nude.....if it wouldn't traumatize the family!!!

My-O-My how times have changed.
    I've been known to sew in my bathrobe...for most of the day. Maybe that's why the spousal unit seems a bit "touched" at times??
    Old 03-25-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
    We used to go catfishing in Bridgeport lake near Decatur and my Grandma would make the hushpuppies. Then we would play dominoes. What a great time we had.
    Growing up, it was usually Lake Arrowhead for us. Lots of catfish there. Family reunions were at Toledo Bend on the TX/LA border. I have some good memories of both places. Enjoy your trip.
    Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by wuv2quilt
    Are you serious????? I'd sew with my hair a mess and in the nude.....if it wouldn't traumatize the family!!!

My-O-My how times have changed.
    Haha, I have no family living with me to traumatize, and I *have* sewn nearly nekkid when it gets to be upwards of 110 in the summer. The dogs don't really care. I don't think I would have made a proper 50s lady.
    Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM

Someone in Central CA needs to pick this one up http://hanford.craigslist.org/atq/2920906643.html
    Old 03-25-2012, 05:24 PM

It's a repro, but hey! For $30, I'd go get it!!
    Old 03-25-2012, 05:28 PM

Yeah, I figured it was a repro, but maybe the table could be refinished nicely. Too far for me!
    Old 03-25-2012, 05:46 PM

Iknow what you mean- I am always a little puzzled what to do when I buy a machine that doesn't need work. Funny, those are the ones I tend to resell rather quickly!
    [QUOTE=melinda1962;5090080, but other than that, not much fun. It sews like a dream. Didn't miss a lick. I mean that is good, but I sort of like to work on them a little. But one daughter has only plastic, so this will be a good replacement for her machine. It just sounds like a sewing machine is supposed to sound. It is two tone brown/gold and pics will appear later.[/QUOTE]
    Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 PM

Default fooling around with a clone

well, I spray painted a hand crank blue metal flake, to go on a clone that it blue. But, I think the blue is too blue.So I'm going to try again, silver. I keep looking at the hand wheel, deciding if I have the guts to notch it. It has a silver rim around it, so it will be a challenge. Can't believe that with all the machines I have I don't have a spoked handwheel hanging around.

I broke a bone in my foot (long story, not interesting, something about getting older). So, I discovered that while I can drive a car left footed, I cannot work a motor control left footed. So last night I used the treadle, today i am thinking hand crank. Good to have options! Laura
    Old 03-25-2012, 06:04 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by melinda1962
    I won a machine off shopgoodwill, and it came yesterday. It is a deluxe zigzag model, very similar to the Wizard I have been using. It had all the accessories and a manual, with a complete parts list with an exploded view of the guts of the machine, and the electric looks like new. It has a couple of scuffs where someone probably did a jeans zipper on the bed edge, but other than that, not much fun. It sews like a dream. Didn't miss a lick. I mean that is good, but I sort of like to work on them a little. But one daughter has only plastic, so this will be a good replacement for her machine. It just sounds like a sewing machine is supposed to sound. It is two tone brown/gold and pics will appear later.
    Lucky you - I got one from GW - had a terrible time paying for it... got it open and it is a mess. I'm thinking why did I buy this one sight unseen??? It is for sure going to stretch me - the knobs don't work - nothing. The machine is frozen up. It's an old Japanese zz. I'm fresh out of enthusiasm for that one....
    Old 03-25-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura
    well, I spray painted a hand crank blue metal flake, to go on a clone that it blue. But, I think the blue is too blue.So I'm going to try again, silver. I keep looking at the hand wheel, deciding if I have the guts to notch it. It has a silver rim around it, so it will be a challenge. Can't believe that with all the machines I have I don't have a spoked handwheel hanging around.

I broke a bone in my foot (long story, not interesting, something about getting older). So, I discovered that while I can drive a car left footed, I cannot work a motor control left footed. So last night I used the treadle, today i am thinking hand crank. Good to have options! Laura
    We want pictures!!
    I'm sorry about your foot....hope it gets better soon!