Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 AM

I want to tell you about my DH from over the weekend. You all know he is the vintage machine lover here. Well he has been trying to get his mother's Minnesota B machine for years. You see his mother past 22 years ago and his sister just wouldn't turn lose of the machine. Well over the weekend he asked again just to see it and it was a messss. In an old shed that the roof leaked. He got sick just looking at it because at one time it was his mother's pride and joy. The paint is completely gone from the machine and locked up. Sooo he asked again if he might have the machine and try and get her running. Sister finally said yes. So machine is in work shop and complety oiled and turning. Got the treadle peddle working too. His mother used to hear DH working the treadle and yell to leave her machine alone or she would box his ears. DH was sitting and just treadling away and says look at me now mom you can't box my ears. Oh how I wish I was behind him and he not know it I would have boxed his ears. Most of the parts are there and the bobbin seems to be the same as our Davis and we have an extra so going to try that. Need a manual if any one has a copy they could send us a copy of. Or know a site I can look tried yesterday but couldn't find any info. Also need the regular presser foot. It slides on from the front.

Last edited by Crossstitcher; 04-03-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 AM

Jan,

Your peg is prettier than mine.

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    Here is the picture of mine that holds my 1891 New Home.

Texas Jan
    Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 AM

Smile

OK here we go who else has a peg and who's peg is pretter?

Last edited by Crossstitcher; 04-03-2012 at 07:30 AM.
    Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=Mizkaki;5111475]Glenn,

The Davis long is a flat shank needle while the MTx190 is round. This does not seem to make much difference in the smaller sizes. With the larger sizes the needle is pushed closer to the other side of the needle hole and could rub it. The round shank will push the scarf slightly further from the hook so there is a slight chance of skipping stitches. The people over at Yahoo's WeFixIt group and Treadleon have found this needle to be an OK substitute. Joe has tried this MTx190 in a size 12 and says it works well.

Cathy

Jon has this size available for sale for anyone needing the Davis VF needle. I have been finding Boye #10 needles at various places, so haven't bought any of the 190R or MTx190 for mine, yet, but I suspect some day in the future I'll have to when I've exhausted my supply of Boye #10s and can't find more.
    Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Most of the parts are there and the bobbin seems to be the same as our Davis and we have an extra so going to try that. Need a manual if any one has a copy they could send us a copy of. Or know a site I can look tried yesterday but couldn't find any info. Also need the regular presser foot. It slides on from the front.

Trish, I believe Davis did make one of the Minnesota models (I think I remember that at least 2 sm companies made Minnesota models), so yes, that makes sense that the Davis bobbin would work.
    Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    I want to tell you about my DH from over the weekend. You all know he is the vintage machine lover here. Well he has been trying to get his mother's Minnesota B machine for years. You see his mother past 22 years ago and his sister just wouldn't turn lose of the machine. Well over the weekend he asked again just to see it and it was a messss. In an old shed that the roof leaked. He got sick just looking at it because at one time it was his mother's pride and joy. The paint is completely gone from the machine and locked up. Sooo he asked again if he might have the machine and try and get her running. Sister finally said yes. So machine is in work shop and complety oiled and turning. Got the treadle peddle working too. His mother used to hear DH working the treadle and yell to leave her machine alone or she would box his ears. DH was sitting and just treadling away and says look at me now mom you can't box my ears. Oh how I wish I was behind him and he not know it I would have boxed his ears. Most of the parts are there and the bobbin seems to be the same as our Davis and we have an extra so going to try that. Need a manual if any one has a copy they could send us a copy of. Or know a site I can look tried yesterday but couldn't find any info. Also need the regular presser foot. It slides on from the front.
    Tell your husband congrats! It must feel wonderful to have a machine that once was his mother's. Please post pictures of a before and after. I bet he will do an beautiful job of restoring this machine!
    Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki
    Jan,

Your peg is prettier than mine.
    I agree with you. Mine is prettier, but it is older. I'm glad there is something good about being older. lol

Texas Jan
    Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 AM

I love this idea. I only have one that was my grandma's & am trying to figure out what it is. So I will be posting. Thank you.
    Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM

Jan,

The peg in my picture is of my son's new Juki industrial needle feed/ walking foot.
    What a beast of a machine. I can' t wait to test run it.

Cathy

Y
    Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    I agree with you. Mine is prettier, but it is older. I'm glad there is something good about being older. lol

Texas Jan
    Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 AM

Monica, DH says thank you. Oh he was so excited to get it but sick for the condition it is in. The only thing to tell it was a minnesota is he knew the machine and part of the "B" is still on there and that's all. Will do about the pictures.