Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
    Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter with family and friends. We had a lovely church service outside in the glorious sunshine. Then went to DD, DSIL & grands for brunch and egg hunt. I made BBQ pulled pork and a white cake with cocoanut frosting and jelly beans. The kids loved it!!
    Years ago when my kids were little, I would make an Easter Lamb cake made from a Pound cake that was decorated with white frosting, shredded coconut for the wool, and raisin for the eyes. Once the kids no longer wanted to do the egg hunt, the jelly beans and chocolate eggs got scattered around the lamb cake instead of the dyed eggs.

BBQ pulled pork sound yummy!!

I have been following the 50 Fab State Stars PP BOM. This weekend, I selected three finished stars for my next quilt and cut all the material. The design of this quilt will be similar to my gray quilt with the three PP State Stars of red and white. This new quilt will have a Spring theme.
    Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
    I just got this on eBay, hopefully it'll arrive safely. It needs work but it'll give me a chance to learn about fixing and cleaning a vintage machine. Plus I just love her. She's a 185J. I hope the picture shows up. I know I probably should have waited but it was at a price I could afford and it will be good practice for me, right. Did I mention I love her.[ATTACH=CONFIG]326405[/ATTACH]
    Jean, I like the 185s, but I don't have one...yet! Haha!!This weekend I sold my big aquarium and it opened up one whole end of my living room. DH keeps saying "she sold it because it was taking up valuable sewing machine space". I told him NO, but he keeps saying it, so I'm gonna take that as a hint that it's OK for me to get more machines!

Last edited by jljack; 04-09-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Old 04-09-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    New post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t185449.html lots of projects... please do add pics of your 3/4 size machines.
    Fun thread! Those 3/4 machines are too cute!!
    Old 04-09-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by crewsemj
    I hope I'm doing this right, but Joe you mentioned "Newhome Greyhound" and I'm wondering if you have a picture of it somewhere. I have a hard time finding my way around all these board.

Wanted to see if it is anything like my (one) machine. Mine has a Greyhound on it!

While I'm asking questions, I've been going to ask about the machines that some of you are using to FMQ on. What is a good measurement to look for for the distance between the needle and the arm? Just curious I guess.

Thanks
    Check out my post on page three of this thread:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t185449.html
    It's the first machine I posted about.

Joe
    Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller
    Check out my post on page three of this thread:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t185449.html
    It's the first machine I posted about.

Joe
    I was hoping you would post that Grayhound on there and that Singer 99. I'm not sure what size the Minnesota is, Joe. I have a Vindex Special looks just like it - I think they are the same size as the older Singer 66s - which seem a tad smaller than the newer 66s. I should look it over next to the other one when I go over the shop. I'm headed over there to clean up and organize. Maybe do a bit of clean up on the Vindex Special. See if any magic happens.

Last edited by miriam; 04-09-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
    Jean, I like the 185s, but I don't have one...yet! Haha!!This weekend I sold my big aquarium and it opened up one whole end of my living room. DH keeps saying "she sold it because it was taking up valuable sewing machine space". I told him NO, but he keeps saying it, so I'm gonna take that as a hint that it's OK for me to get more machines!
    The 185s are a lot like the 99s or the Spartans. The plastic cases aren't so hot.
    Old 04-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Here is a machine my DH got for free and did a little work on it. He did machine work on a spoke wheel and attached it to the machine and put a hand C. on it. So now his machine will sew with a motor, treadle, or HC. Since it is a Charles Atlas machine he calls it are you ready for this "Charlee" or Miss Pinky." Oh! The machine sews good too.
    Attached Thumbnails p1010775.jpg  
    Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 AM

Charlee with the HC.
    Attached Thumbnails p1010776.jpg  
    Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Here is a machine my DH got for free and did a little work on it. He did machine work on a spoke wheel and attached it to the machine and put a hand C. on it. So now his machine will sew with a motor, treadle, or HC. Since it is a Charles Atlas machine he calls it are you ready for this "Charlee" or Miss Pinky." Oh! The machine sews good too.
    Wow, Trish a Charlee - jack of all trades - machine!

Nancy
    Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    I was hoping you would post that Grayhound on there and that Singer 99. I'm not sure what size the Minnesota is, Joe. I have a Vindex Special looks just like it - I think they are the same size as the older Singer 66s - which seem a tad smaller than the newer 66s. I should look it over next to the other one when I go over the shop. I'm headed over there to clean up and organize. Maybe do a bit of clean up on the Vindex Special. See if any magic happens.
    OK, here you go:
    Front view;

Back view;

Here's the 99K ready to go, front view.

And a back view after the new motor and light were installed. Before the belt and wiring.

As for the Minnesota, it's might not be considered a 3/4 size machine, but it's no where near as big as a full sized machine. Next time I go down stairs I'll take my camera take a pik of it next to the 99 and say a 66 or a 15 clone.

Joe