Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Hummm, I never change the title - but, I do put my phone number. Geeze, Miriam if you really want to sell the item why ignore a response. If I list something, I check all the responses I get - even the ones that ask 'do you still have the item.' There are lazy people out there that sell something and don't remove the ad. Most people wouldn't change the title - I'm guessing - unless they do an awful lot of buying off of Craigslist. Most people would just do a reply to the ad. I do a reply, ask for their phone number, location, and put in my phone # and location. I am always very polite. I usually get responses. I have several machines I bought off of Craigslist. It is the ones that don't put a phone number that seem to ignore e-mails.

Nancy
    Yes, I respond to all e-mails even though they're sometimes just asking if it's available...and I don't change the title either. The only ones I don't respond to are the obvious scams like, " consider your item sold and I'm out of town and would like to mail you a cashier's check" blah, blah, blah. I don't have anything selling right now, but I periodically put up things on CL that I don't want to deal with listing on ebay.
    Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Hummm, I never change the title - but, I do put my phone number.
    When I respond to a craigslist add, I usually copy the whole thing into my e-mail (CTR-A, CTR-C, CTR-V) and then copy the title into the subject. Then I say I'm interested in this item and could they please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx or send me their number so I can call them. Usually works, and there's no question about what item I'm asking about. FWIW!

pat
    Old 05-18-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    Nancy when I get a response from CL and it has the same title as my ad, I ignore it. Those are usually sent back as spam. I look for a different title and a phone number or I ignore the email. If the email says 'do you still have the item?' I ignore the email. If the ad says 'I want to buy your item' I ignore the email.
    Ooops! Miriam, you probably wouldn't respond to my inquiry emails...

This is what I routinely do for my own personal info when writing to a craigslist ad. I usually don't call first, even if they have a number, I prefer to not take up their time by calling until I find out some info. Then, in my email I copy/edit their Title which includes city, then copy/edit their ad text and then form my questions. 99% of the time I get responses. I do this so "I" know which request is concerning which ad since I do inquire sometimes to more than one ad/in more than one city.

I only had one recently that never put their phone number in, I wrote, no response from them. I wrote again, no response... again. Then, 3 days later they replaced their exact same ad, no phone number and they did not respond to two more emails from me. THAT was frustrating for 2 reasons: 1) they left no other way to contact them 2)DH and I reallllllly wanted that machine! My conclusion was that 'they' were fishing, either for email addresses OR to test the market response.
    Old 05-18-2012, 09:07 AM

Hi Charlee....was wondering where you wandered off to!! I thought maybe you got lost in an antique mall somewhere! LOL
    Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams
    Ooops! Miriam, you probably wouldn't respond to my inquiry emails...

This is what I routinely do for my own personal info when writing to a craigslist ad. I usually don't call first, even if they have a number, I prefer to not take up their time by calling until I find out some info. Then, in my email I copy/edit their Title which includes city, then copy/edit their ad text and then form my questions. 99% of the time I get responses. I do this so "I" know which request is concerning which ad since I do inquire sometimes to more than one ad/in more than one city.
    i do this also so that i can know which ad i responded to. and in the title along with their info i may type something like "have questions" or "still available???" or "i'm interested" so hopefully they will at least look at the response and not think it is spam.
    Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
    Hi Charlee....was wondering where you wandered off to!! I thought maybe you got lost in an antique mall somewhere! LOL
    Nope...I'm around, just super busy this week! Was busy before the girls got here trying to make everything nice. They got here and I got to spend a day with them before William took them to Idaho to see his mom. While they've been gone, I've been bustin' butt to get a cabinet refinished....someone had painted it with stain...very DARK stain...no finish on top of it...so it was not only black/dirty, but sticky/gummy as well... almost finished tho!
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Hey Nancy!!! Check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Hita...item27c57a0889
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 AM

it may be already too late to drive out there (about 40 miles) to see what this machine is. but i am sure debating it. i have some extra room in my car trunk.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/zip/3023319431.html
    Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    it may be already too late to drive out there (about 40 miles) to see what this machine is. but i am sure debating it. i have some extra room in my car trunk.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/zip/3023319431.html
    I would be super torn about whether to drive over. It's a ways, and about 4 gallons of gas....
    Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Wow...that's a very neat machine. Rhythm Baby!! Love it!!