Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Scotlass
    This is my very first time using the message board, so be gentle with me. Do hope my picture comes thru. I found this lovely old Frister & Rossman hand crank....so excited..until I found that the needle was broken in two and I have no idea how to determine what needle it takes and where to look for replacements.

The serial # on the machine is 3735751. Any information on this machine would be greatly appreciated.

Penny
    A very nice FR transverse shuttle with "Red Lilies" decal!! I have one a bit earlier--#3211216--from the 1920's, I believe. I'll see if I can find out. They're wonderful to sew on!!
    Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Scotlass
    This is my very first time using the message board, so be gentle with me. Do hope my picture comes thru. I found this lovely old Frister & Rossman hand crank....so excited..until I found that the needle was broken in two and I have no idea how to determine what needle it takes and where to look for replacements.

The serial # on the machine is 3735751. Any information on this machine would be greatly appreciated.

Penny
    Free online manual:

http://www.ismacs.net/fristerandross...se-shuttle.pdf
    Old 07-23-2010, 02:55 PM

It came up on Craigs List, I sent a question to the poster about the machine and didn't get an answer right away. When she finally responded, I couldn't remember what the machine was, as I had looked at so many in the meantime. I feel really fortunate to have this beauty and look forward to getting the needles and sewing away!

Penny (Scotlass)
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 PM

HI All!!! I finally got my Treadle and the New Home, home! I am so excited! I would appreciate some help with how to clean them, and where to get a belt for the treadle. I am going to try to post a picture of them!
    Thanks ALL!

Electric City Treadle
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]72161[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-72151.jpe   attachment-72156.jpe  
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
    Power Poster

Scotlass, that is one of the most beautiful machines I have ever seen. What a great find!
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM

Hello, My DH has suddenly taken an interest in vintage machines. He found a Franklin treadle machine at an antique shop today and was wondering if you thought it was worth the $50 they are asking. He couldn't get any good pics, but there are 2 similar for sale on Bonanzle http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/Indig...__1910_Vintage and Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2

He says it is in a condition between these two machines. Most similar to the one on Ebay, although it is some cleaner and the cabinet in in better shape. It needs the belts, but when he turns the wheel on the right it turns freely. What is your take on this? Go for it or keep looking?

Thanks for any expert advice you can offer.
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM

Scotlass that is beautiful!
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:36 PM
    Power Poster

I think that $50 for a treadle in good shape is a good buy, if you're looking for a treadle and like that one.

Originally Posted by nursie76
    Hello, My DH has suddenly taken an interest in vintage machines. He found a Franklin treadle machine at an antique shop today and was wondering if you thought it was worth the $50 they are asking. He couldn't get any good pics, but there are 2 similar for sale on Bonanzle http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/Indig...__1910_Vintage and Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2

He says it is in a condition between these two machines. Most similar to the one on Ebay, although it is some cleaner and the cabinet in in better shape. It needs the belts, but when he turns the wheel on the right it turns freely. What is your take on this? Go for it or keep looking?

Thanks for any expert advice you can offer.
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:39 PM

I was thinking the same thing...it does need belts. I have not considered getting a treadle. DH has suddenly taken an interest in the machines from the 50's and 60's, but he saw this oldster today and got kinda excited. I think it would be really cool to create a quilt once in a while like our ancestors did.

Thanks for your input.
    Old 07-23-2010, 03:45 PM
    Power Poster

Belts are pretty cheap (in the $4-8 range) and almost any old treadle machine for sale seems to need one. I think it's cool that your husband is interested in it. I would encourage that interest if I were you. :thumbup:

Originally Posted by nursie76
    I was thinking the same thing...it does need belts. I have not considered getting a treadle. DH has suddenly taken an interest in the machines from the 50's and 60's, but he saw this oldster today and got kinda excited. I think it would be really cool to create a quilt once in a while like our ancestors did.

Thanks for your input.