Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Jan, I remember learning to sew as a young girl on a machine that looked like this. Then Mom got a modern Singer in the tearly50s. Woo Woo, it plugged in the wall and you stepped on a foot pedal to make it go. She used it until she was in her 90s.
    Old 07-23-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Belts are pretty cheap (in the $4-8 range) and almost any old treadle machine for sale seems to need one. I think it's cool that your husband is interested in it. I would encourage that interest if I were you. :thumbup:
    My thinking exactly!

:thumbup:
    Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 PM

I have the exact same treadle machine that you have shown in your picture. I used Billy's tutorial to give it the kerosene bath after disassembling and now have it almost ready to put back together. You will be amazed at the beautiful machine you will have when you are finished. His tutes are fabulous.

Penny (Scotlass)
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:00 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by nursie76
    He found a Franklin treadle machine at an antique shop today and was wondering if you thought it was worth the $50 they are asking.
    I really like the style of the cabinet and if the machine has that bug decal it would be great! I am not sure about feet and needle for this machine but hopefully some one can help. If you like it I think $50 is a good price. I payed way more for mine. The guy knew I wanted that one bad. LOL
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Scotlass, that is one of the most beautiful machines I have ever seen. What a great find!
    thanks so much, I really feel blessed that it has come into my care. I still have to solve the needle (or lack of) issue and I am sure someone will be able to help with that.

Penny (Scotlass)
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I really like the style of the cabinet and if the machine has that bug decal it would be great! I am not sure about feet and needle for this machine but hopefully some one can help. If you like it I think $50 is a good price. I payed way more for mine. The guy knew I wanted that one bad. LOL
    Yes, it does have the scarabs (beetles) on it. I think that is what I like most about it.8-)
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:33 PM

I think if you get a treadle for $50 that doesn't need alot of work is pretty good. If it has those neat decals all the better. I would buy it, but you all know my problem. I buy everything. :cry:

DH interest is a definate plus.
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 PM

[quote=Scotlass]
    Scotlass, that is one of the most beautiful machines I have ever seen. What a great find!
    Penny, I forgot to say also, that the quilt it is sitting on is pretty nice also. Did you make it?

Lisa
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scotlass
    I have the exact same treadle machine that you have shown in your picture. I used Billy's tutorial to give it the kerosene bath after disassembling and now have it almost ready to put back together. You will be amazed at the beautiful machine you will have when you are finished. His tutes are fabulous.

Penny (Scotlass)
    Where I find the tutes? I would really like to see this little machine up and ready to go!
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Originally Posted by nursie76
    He found a Franklin treadle machine at an antique shop today and was wondering if you thought it was worth the $50 they are asking.
    Very much like the Singer 27/127; even the slide plates are interchangeable. It takes a standard 15 x 1 needle and (I think, it's been a long time since I've used mine) side-clamping attachments.