Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-26-2013, 05:56 AM

Hi, I just found this site looking for info on my Minnesota L which is in a lovely box cabinet. I bought it several years ago but husband is today cleaning it up for use. It is lovely, works well. Think it was made in 1912. So nice to find a site like this. I have another old treadle, a White and almost perfect condition. Plus a variety of Singers, including my work horse, 401A.
    Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by marylehman
    Hi, I just found this site looking for info on my Minnesota L which is in a lovely box cabinet. I bought it several years ago but husband is today cleaning it up for use. It is lovely, works well. Think it was made in 1912. So nice to find a site like this. I have another old treadle, a White and almost perfect condition. Plus a variety of Singers, including my work horse, 401A.
    I don't have any information on that machine , but welcome! and I am sure someone will chime in with your info soon.

Steve
    Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 AM
    Power Poster

Minnesota was probably made by Domestic - Ismmacs might have info on it.
    Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM

Minnesota machines were also made By Davis for Sears. Mr Sears was originally from Minnesota and thus the name he gave his machines for sale in the Sears Store and Cat. Got this from Ismacs
    Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM

I’ve a problem with the needle thread getting stuck in the bobbin apparatus and locking things up. The problem started quite suddenly. After initial investigation, I found some black “lint” all around the bobbin apparatus as well as about a foot and a half of thread wrapped around the bobbin shaft. Thrilled to have fixed the “obvious” problem, I reassembled the machine only to find the same problem still existed. Any help….anyone??
    Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dave X
    I’ve a problem with the needle thread getting stuck in the bobbin apparatus and locking things up. The problem started quite suddenly. After initial investigation, I found some black “lint” all around the bobbin apparatus as well as about a foot and a half of thread wrapped around the bobbin shaft. Thrilled to have fixed the “obvious” problem, I reassembled the machine only to find the same problem still existed. Any help….anyone??
    Hi Dave. Welcome to QB. What kind of machine? Here are some common questions/causes. Are the thread and needle compatible? Is there a burr on the hook? Is the needle new and inserted the correct direction? Is it threaded correctly? Is the tension (upper and lower) in need of cleaning? Is the correct bobbin inserted in the machine correctly? It sounds like it may need to be cleaned really well to me. Check the needle, the threading, and tension first and then start cleaning stuff is what I would recommend.
    ~G~
    Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM

BoJangles its a 66-18 and yes I realized the lady gave me the wrong bobbins to go wit it which leads me to believe she was lying when she said she has used it before lol I think she may have never used this machine, The screws are so tights I cant get them off even after some oil. It is a good thing I dont have to worry about the decals but the words in it are almost completely faded
    Old 03-26-2013, 12:49 PM

Here's the link to Sears Sewing Machines on Ismac's and written by Charles Law:
    http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

According to this Goodrich, Davis, Domestic, White, and Standard all made Minnesota's. The Min. L was made by Standard and is a "Class N" or Norwood. There's a handy dandy little book sold on ebay for $10 where I got this info from: "The Handbook of Antique Sewing Machines" by Charles Law. $10 well spent and I'm not the seller.

Jon

Old 03-26-2013, 01:58 PM

Great info Jon, Thank you
    Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM

Hi, I just found this site looking for info on my Minnesota L ...
    Here is a manual on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370496596554?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1438.l2649#ht_2107wt_1378