• Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Jan,

Some people have all the fun!
    Congratulations. It looks like a nice machine.

Cathy

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    Went to Jennb's place last week and saw her "herd". What a bunch of nice machines she has, and when she gets her sewing studio set up, it will be awesome!!! I think I liked her Pfaff about the best or maybe one of her Jones.
    I've been begging for one of her Davis Vertical Feed machines for about 80 months and she sold it to me last week. It is a bit of a do it yourself project, but that's what I like best. I actually have the machine sewing now and the mechanics are clean for the most part. Now to do the detail work on the machine.
    The cabinet is going to be a major challenge. I've been gluing separated cabinet pieces for a week. The top is missing the veneer completely. I've picked Skip's brain, poor guy, and am getting there. Got the irons back together, and have two headless bushings left over. Cannot figure where they go. Hopefully on the cabinet somewhere. lol here is the puzzle when I unloaded her last week. Skip says she is about a 1917 machine. I know she bites, because I ran her rusty needle through my index finger(missed the nail). That's a first for me, so now I've been exposed to antique sewing machine disease really good. Also got a tetanus shot, just to be safe. Will post more when I get her all done.
    Thanks Jennb!! One more off my "want" list that I have.

Texas Jan
    Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM

Hi, everyone this is my first time posting on this thread. I thought you might like to see one of our older machines. I can't remember if we picked it up on the east coast or in Scotland. This is my husbands favorite.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]413543[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]413545[/ATTACH]

I have used it when I needed to sew something for the girls and we lost power. I had one of my daughters slowly crank and I guided the fabric. I believe it was a dress.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]413546[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]413547[/ATTACH]

We have not done any major cleaning except light soap and water to remove the dirt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]413548[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]413549[/ATTACH]

Thank you for opportunity to share.
    Attached Thumbnails dsci3180.jpg   dsci3182.jpg   dsci3183.jpg   dsci3187.jpg   dsci3193.jpg  

dsci3196.jpg  
    Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Wow! A beautiful machine Dedemac.
    Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM

Glenn...searched forever...sorry I couldn't find a manual for the Feldman. I'm thinking that Willcox and Gibbs also made a hat making machine so I think it would work practically the same since it is probably modeled from it.
    Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 PM

Dedemac,
    The decals on your machine are beautiful!!
    Sharon
    Old 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM
    Banned

so there is a "Dita Von Teese" 1939 packard for sale on Ebay right now. I mention this because she collects cars from the era we collect sewing machines, and it appears for the same reason. Here is a quote from her that I feel is very well put.

"In the interview, Von Teese likens her vintage cars to her preference for other things from the past. “I like having old things around me because there’s a certain artfulness and craftsmanship that isn’t possible now,” she says. “There was a time when everything was made with a certain aesthetic for beauty and art, and there are a lot of modern things that that’s not important to the people designing them.”

"“You can’t be in a hurry when you drive these cars,” she says. “They’re meant to be driven and enjoyed.”

just substitute the words "sewing machine" for "car"
    Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the quote Steve, that is just how I feel about all of my vintage sewing machines. Much nicer than all the plastic ones today!!
    Old 05-15-2013, 05:41 PM

I love the reaction I get when someone sews with a vintage sewing machine for the first time. I just sold a black 301 to a friend and she said that she was amazed how quiet it was and how well it sewed.
    Sharon
    Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM

That Hexagon is very classy indeed!
    Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 PM

Dedemac -

I love the decals and chrome on your Hexagon, and they are in such good condition. I've never seen one like it.

Darren