I hope there is someone in GA who can pick up this beauty

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/atq/1881004271.html

White Featherweight
    Old 08-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mickey
    I hope there is someone in GA who can pick up this beauty

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/atq/1881004271.html

White Featherweight
    I sent an e-mail the day after it was posted and never got a reply...guess it was gone quickly.

Saw a black one for $125, but did not try for it, was the next day also, and those things go so fast!!!
    Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/atq/1893701505.html

LOL, says Kenmore right on top but listed as a Singer.
    Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 PM

ok, this might be kind of dumb question, but here goes.

I am getting into this "gotta" have it mentality with theses old sewing machines. Ok, I guess my question is, what do I do with them once I have them? I have a Davis badged machine (once was a treadle), A singer 66 with a bad refurb job on it ( and it was once a treadle also), just picked up a National badged machine, the Elna Grasshopper. I have yet to sew on any of them. For one, I dont have a treadle cabinet. Haven't found one yet that has been decent. But then again, I am not sure that all the machines would fit in one cabinet.

Since none of my machines are not in the best mechanical shape, I am thinking just use them for decoration. So here is my dilema, the treadle type of machines won't sit flat. Any suggestions on how to display them and they can sit flat?

Thanks in advance. I know you guys are really good with theses old machine and have some great ideas.
    Jackie :)
    Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 PM

OH, Oh, Oh! I'm so excited. I think I found another featherweight on CL. It was missing a bunch of stuff and he wants $175 for it. I made him a counter offer of $100. I really hope he takes me up on it or at least counters. It's a 1949 serial #AJ224809. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I really hope I get it. No manual, no accessories and isn't sure it even works. I'm so excited just thinking about it.
    Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM

I am crossing my fingers for you. Good Luck, hope you get it!
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by jackkip
    ok, this might be kind of dumb question, but here goes.

I am getting into this "gotta" have it mentality with theses old sewing machines. Ok, I guess my question is, what do I do with them once I have them? I have a Davis badged machine (once was a treadle), A singer 66 with a bad refurb job on it ( and it was once a treadle also), just picked up a National badged machine, the Elna Grasshopper. I have yet to sew on any of them. For one, I dont have a treadle cabinet. Haven't found one yet that has been decent. But then again, I am not sure that all the machines would fit in one cabinet.

Since none of my machines are not in the best mechanical shape, I am thinking just use them for decoration. So here is my dilema, the treadle type of machines won't sit flat. Any suggestions on how to display them and they can sit flat?

Thanks in advance. I know you guys are really good with theses old machine and have some great ideas.
    Jackie :)
    Now this is just a suggestion. Get a piece of sfoam (sp) and place machine on it and press down to make an imprint. cut out what is not needed and maybe the machine will fit in the cut outs and sit flat. You could cover or paint the foam and let machine sit on that. Foam would have to be a certain thickness so you can make the cut outs. Would that work do you think? When you buy a new machine I know some come packaged like this.
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
    I have an opportunity to buy a Pfaff 130 treadle in a cabinet in very good condition. The guy wants me to make a reasonable offer. I am thinking $100 but I don't want to insult the guy and not be able to get the machine ....and it sure is purty! What do you think?
    PunkQuilter did you make an offer on the Pfaff 130? Did you get the machine?

I have my Mom's 130 on a shelf -- I get it out once a year and make something on it just to keep it lubricated -- she loved that machine so much.

Just curious.

Nancy
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood

I got mine (in a cabinet) for $5 at an estate auction! But that was a FLUKE! No one else was bidding on it except for my DH! It was/is in pristine condition! I use it for a bedside table in the extra bedroom but have used it to hem jeans. As much as I love the vintage machines, I love to sew on my newer computerized machines!
    Geeze what a steal! That machine looks like it was never used much! I'd love to find a deal like that, but I am running out of places to put the machines that are in cabinets! I am setting up something at all 3 of my treadles and my 99K -- these are all in cabinets -- to make, even if it is just a table topper! Love these vintage machines.
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
    Billy

I just picked up an old singer and don't know much about it yet. On the stitch length selecter it says Back Tack. I think it is a 66-16 according to the manual. Serial # is AJ418122. I know the feed dogs don't drop but it has a plate to put over them. It stitches good but I have to try free motion quilting on it If I learn how to post a picture I will get one up for you to see. I also have an old New Home I just received, like it but the needles are hard to find. shorter than the universals.

Suzy
    Suzy that machine was made around 1950. Billy could give you the exact date of manufacture.

Nancy

Nancy