Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tess10
    Just picked up a Singer Red Eye at the thrift store for a very cheap price..... It has the wooden case which has some chipping but not in really bad shape.

The machine is in what I would consider good shape with decals and I tested it any runs strong. Needs a straight stitch foot. It also has tape stuck to the bed (to mark 1/4")

I am going to oil, clean, polish and then I don't know what. I already am over run with featherweights, and I think this is my 3rd Model 66.

Just couldn't resist her.
    I think the Red Eye decals are just about the prettiest ones ever made. I keep hoping I'll find one for me that isn't horribly expensive.
    Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the info Miz Johnny - I'll have to look up a Grasshopper! In the mean time, if you come across a green 185 - keep me in mind!
    Cindy
    Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

It was in the treadle that the 15-90 is in. I moved machines around like some move furniture. Long story, but I moved machines around and moved some parts( bobbin winder and spoke wheel) from the RAF machine head to the 15-90 so that I would have the best sewing setup. I don't have a lot of room for numerous treadles. At present, I have two treadles and a sewing desk that are arranged in a u-shape. So, my Lotus went into a bentwood box that sits on my desk. Don't know what I will do with the RAF which was in a treadle (now that treadle has my 201), but it sits in a box waiting to be cleaned up. My husband says the Lotus should go back in its treadle. If ever a treadle without machine head shows up then the desk may go and I will then have three treadles (another rotation). I get dizzy thinking of all this movement.
    I move different heads in and out of my two Singer bases--I long ago ran out of room to hold so many machines. Depending on what I'm sewing, I may have a 9W, 201, 15-91, Japanese class 15, or Necchi BU in the treadle.
    Old 09-21-2010, 04:03 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    I move different heads in and out of my two Singer bases--I long ago ran out of room to hold so many machines. Depending on what I'm sewing, I may have a 9W, 201, 15-91, Japanese class 15, or Necchi BU in the treadle.
    I do that in my studio with my central treadle, but I can even run an industrial in it if I want. The table top is 36x140 and I have wooden plates that I made to fit the central opening and then there is a hole cut out to fit various machines that I have and use in my studio.

Billy

quilting table without the leaf instaled
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]109987[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-109982.jpe  
    Old 09-21-2010, 04:06 PM
    Power Poster

Two more machines today, a Singer 500A in OK shape but with no extras.Good part is this one is running. Also a Bernina 830 in case with some feet and the knee lifter. This one is not running but hopefully we'll get it going again.

Also the pink Boradway Deluxe zig zag machine that DH picked up for $10 is running now. I was amazed over that as I had little hope for it.

Both green Elna's are clean and I think my love for the Singer 301 might have found competition. Those green Elna's sew very nice and DH claims the quarter inch foot we purchased for the Singer Feather Weight works also on the green Elna.

The two tone Singer 301 DH picked up last Sunday is now cleaned and also running.
    Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Two more machines today, a Singer 500A in OK shape but with no extras.Good part is this one is running. Also a Bernina 830 in case with some feet and the knee lifter. This one is not running but hopefully we'll get it going again.

Also the pink Boradway Deluxe zig zag machine that DH picked up for $10 is running now. I was amazed over that as I had little hope for it.

Both green Elna's are clean and I think my love for the Singer 301 might have found competition. Those green Elna's sew very nice and DH claims the quarter inch foot we purchased for the Singer Feather Weight works also on the green Elna.

You get that Bernina 830 working, and you will love it. My mom owns one. LONG time ago she had the Necchi Supernova (which I learned to sew on and I liked); well, she sold it and got herself the Bernina 830. She LOVES that machine. She has sewn on a White, the Necchi, and Bernina, and the Bernina has been her favorite.

The two tone Singer 301 DH picked up last Sunday is now cleaned and also running.
    Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 PM
    Power Poster

You get that Bernina 830 working, and you will love it. My mom owns one. LONG time ago she had the Necchi Supernova (which I learned to sew on and I liked); well, she sold it and got herself the Bernina 830. She LOVES that machine. She has sewn on a White, the Necchi, and Bernina, and the Bernina has been her favorite.

[/quote]

I have heard and that is why I asked DH to pick it up. I hope we'll get it going. The outside appears to be exposed to the elements a bit but the inside looks nice and clean. Hopefully it is something simple.
    Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I do that in my studio with my central treadle, but I can even run an industrial in it if I want. The table top is 36x140 and I have wooden plates that I made to fit the central opening and then there is a hole cut out to fit various machines that I have and use in my studio.

Billy
    Very nice set up Billy!
    Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 PM
    Banned

I have about 12 or 13 machines out there that I use so its nice to swap them out when I feel like it. The only thing is I have to change out the treadle belt 3/4 of the time to fit the different sized pulleys and different height shafts.

Billy
    Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM

DH has the green 15-125 all cleaned, oiled and ready to go back into the cabinet as soon as he does a little repair to the drawer. It runs so quiet you can barely hear it. You can tell it's been used but I can see why, seems to be an excellent little machine. I was thinking of selling it but not so sure now.