Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM
    Banned

The Hot Rod is a 1951 Ford and I have owned the car since I was 13. It is a 50's custom that used parts from all sorts of cars like they did back in the day and other than the drive line all parts used in this build were not newer than 1957. When I get a chance this winter I am going to chop the top on it and repaint it. But I built this car from the ground up 4 or 5 times.

And yes I drive it in the rain, snow, ice what ever is on the road at the time I get in it. This has been my daily driver for as long as I can remember.

Billy
    Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Ok you guys that quilt with your 15-88, 15-90, 15-91's do you use a 1/4 inch foot or do you just use mole skin, painter's tape or something similiar to make a 1/4 mark so your piecing is accurate? I am pretty sure there were no 1/4 feet originally for these machines, at least not for the 15-88, which I have?

Nancy
    Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    The Hot Rod is a 1951 Ford and I have owned the car since I was 13. It is a 50's custom that used parts from all sorts of cars like they did back in the day and other than the drive line all parts used in this build were not newer than 1957. When I get a chance this winter I am going to chop the top on it and repaint it. But I built this car from the ground up 4 or 5 times.

And yes I drive it in the rain, snow, ice what ever is on the road at the time I get in it. This has been my daily driver for as long as I can remember.

Billy
    Geeze, Billy that is pretty neat. I thought I kept my horse hauling rigs a long time, but you have out done me! Wow! I have a lot of respect for anyone that can keep one car running that long! Especially, in this throw it away society!

Nancy
    Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Ok you guys that quilt with your 15-88, 15-90, 15-91's do you use a 1/4 inch foot or do you just use mole skin, painter's tape or something similiar to make a 1/4 mark so your piecing is accurate? I am pretty sure there were no 1/4 feet originally for these machines, at least not for the 15-88, which I have?

Nancy
    You can either use the seam guide attachment or tape. I noticed that Purplefiend had some form of plexiglass that she uses. You can also buy one of those magnet guides from JoAnns or you could buy a new plate that has the markings on it.

vintage guide
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]127382[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-127377.png  
    Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM

Billy
    My 14 year old son is fascinated with your story. He said you must have lots of money and time to do that 4-5 times. He loves your car too. And he likes what you did with the old Singer, loves the decals.
    Old 11-16-2010, 04:25 PM
    Power Poster

Billy
    Sorry Billy, I take it all back - you just must like cleaning it a lot then. I wouldn't want to risk it getting damaged, chipped, or plain dirty, cos it looks so good.
    Old 11-16-2010, 04:56 PM

The whitewalls really bring out the beauty of this automobile's color ! Thanks for posting it.
    Old 11-16-2010, 05:22 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    My 14 year old son is fascinated with your story. He said you must have lots of money and time to do that 4-5 times. He loves your car too. And he likes what you did with the old Singer, loves the decals.
    Well there was a lot more time involved than money but tell him that I used to go through motors in my '65 Shelby and my Falcon like I changed underwear! :lol: :lol: Then there were the driveshafts, clutches, rearends, but that is another story......:roll: My wife could tell you some stories there!!

Billy
    Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Sorry Billy, I take it all back - you just must like cleaning it a lot then. I wouldn't want to risk it getting damaged, chipped, or plain dirty, cos it looks so good.
    I usually paint it every 4 or 5 years and change colors when I do most of the time. I am going back a two-tone this time with the trim dividing the colors.

Billy
    Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM

I usually paint it every 4 or 5 years and change colors when I do most of the time. I am going back a two-tone this time with the trim dividing the colors.

Billy[/quote]

My Grandpa had one that was yellow/white. Us kids used to get a kick out of the raido. It wouldn't come on until the car was warmed up. He let me drive it when I was 16. I had to sit on two pillows to see to drive. Loved that car.